Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums General Discussions Permissibility Of Generative AI

• Permissibility Of Generative AI

Posted by Amin Ansar on September 27, 2023 at 7:53 am

Aoa sir, nowadays artificial intelligence is on the rise, especially the type that people use to generate content. These AI tools learn from other people’s work and produce new work based on that, such as chatGPT and Midjourney.

The problem is that it is trained to create this content by looking at other people’s works such as images and texts, a lot of which is copyrighted even if freely available online and when training, original authors’ consent is not taken and neither are they paid for it which to me is a clear violation of their rights. These AI companies are even blamed of using paid resources such as books to train their AI by getting those books for free from illegal resources which is very possible but not proven yet. Also, since the bot crawls others’ websites to get the freely available but copyrighted data, the ads aren’t viewed on those sites so even those authors don’t get the ad revenue.

One might argue that it is same as a person who will read these resources and then create new content in his own words. But those authors were paid when a human viewed their work as opposed to when chatgpt was trained.

Also, when you ask chatgpt or midjourney to create content in an author’s style, it generates that content which even sometimes has the same theme as the original copyrighted book’s story. This seems like chatgpt is again violating their rights because otherwise if someone wants to get inspiration from an author’s book or website, he has to but or visit it so if 100 people do so, the book is bought 100 times or the person has to borrow that book from his friend or ask a person secretly as if such info is available freely online the website will be taken down for copyright violation.

But in case of chatgpt, no one has to buy the books or visit original author’s website and people get access to paid content completely for free.

I think it is a serious matter from Islamic perspective as it’s a major sin to violate other people’s rights.

Please clear this up for me. Am I wrong and I can use these platforms as long as I don’t ask these to create works similar to original author’s? But in that case, the content is still being delivered to me by someone who might have stolen it and given to me in his own words

Dr. Irfan Shahzad replied 7 months, 3 weeks ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Permissibility Of Generative AI

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar September 27, 2023 at 8:10 am

Ethical problems are judged by human conscience and if something is proven wrong, it will be a sin for a Muslim to take benefit from such thing. The points you raised should be a concern for a Muslim for his or her moral being. We hope to have some clear rules and laws to protect intellectual property in the face of the new avenues of information.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register