Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Youth and Islam How Should A Muslim Respond To Committing Sin?

• How Should A Muslim Respond To Committing Sin?

Posted by Haseeb Faisal on October 2, 2023 at 11:35 pm

Is there a balance that one can adopt between responding too lightly vs. responding too harshly to when one commits sin themselves? I feel like neither is a very effective option from personal experience. Any thoughts? I would appreciate an example to help me understand.

JazakAllah

Dr. Irfan Shahzad replied 6 months, 4 weeks ago 2 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • How Should A Muslim Respond To Committing Sin?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar October 3, 2023 at 12:54 am

One cannot be immune to committing minor sins or mistakes. So one should not expect too high of oneself. Such mistakes can be taken as a chance to turn to God for repentance and to refresh our relationship with God. However, in case of big sins, one must be extremely remorseful and ask for forgiveness immediately.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member October 3, 2023 at 7:27 am

JazakAllah, Dr. Irfan Shahzad. But can you explain how someone should approach the situation mentally? Because sometimes committing sin can be very mentally overwhelming and debilitating, especially when you lose confidence in yourself for the future.

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar October 3, 2023 at 11:25 pm

This is something psychological. One should consult a psychiatrist. God is not that strict, so should one not with oneself.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member October 3, 2023 at 11:50 pm

Yes, that makes sense. But when I mean approach, I’m asking – if someone commits a sin, should they rectify themselves and ask forgiveness when possible and then consider themselves completely forgiven? Simultaneously, they would treat the sin as though it never occurred.

Or should one’s approach involve them reminding themselves that they did commit a particular sin, even after they have asked for forgiveness. And if the latter option is more acceptable because it shows ‘ownership’ and ‘dislike for the sin’, for example, how does one prevent themselves from not being too hard on themselves. I get that Allah SWT is not so strict, but there are natural expectations and frustrations that arise from within, which are not necessarily deviations requiring medical or psychiatric help. It’s human nature and can form as guidance for self-improvement. But the platform for error is what can make a person especially vulnerable to being under stress, since one might feel their relationship with Allah SWT or standing in the afterlife might be affected.

JazakAllah

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar October 4, 2023 at 12:00 am

If it is not a big sin, and if a sin is big but done when one is overwhelmed and one asks the forgiveness immediately then one can hope one’s sin, according to the promise of God in the Quran, is forgiven. However, the memory of the sin is still there and it is desirable to be a better Muslim not to give oneself another chance to repeat the mistake or sin again.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member October 4, 2023 at 8:24 am

JazakAllah Dr. Irfan Shahzad, makes sense.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register