Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Quran's Use Of Name Isa To Refer To Yeshua

Tagged: ,

• Quran's Use Of Name Isa To Refer To Yeshua

Posted by Hasan on October 5, 2023 at 9:14 am

Assalam Alaikum,

I understand Jesus and Isa are linguistic versions to refer to Yeshua, but (1) if Isa (as) was indeed known as Yeshua (i.e. that’s what his name was, was known as, was called as by his mother, etc), and (2) if in Arabic it is indeed possible to write يشوع which is significantly closer to the phonetics of “Yeshua” than Isa (عيسى).. then why is he referred so differently?

Why did Allah (swt) not refer to him accurately (when it was clearly possible in Arabic) as how Yeshua (as) was originally known as (or named as) ?

Secondly, should we as Muslims rather say Isa or Yeshua, and why.

jazakAllah khair!

Faisal Haroon replied 7 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Quran's Use Of Name Isa To Refer To Yeshua

Faisal Haroon updated 7 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • Faisal Haroon

Moderator October 5, 2023 at 9:49 am

First of all, it should be understood that the Quran uses names of previous prophets as they were known to the Arabs. If I were to write a book on Isa SAW today for the western audience, I would refer to him as Jesus so that my audience can easily relate to it.

Secondly, it is plausible that the birth name of Jesus SWS was pronounced as Yeshua, but it is not an established fact. Other names in ancient texts are also found, for example, Isho, Eshoo, Esau, and Yeshu. Certainty in historical matters of this nature is often challenging to attain. Scholars rely on ancient texts, linguistic analysis, and archaeological findings to make certain conclusions that seem plausible, but by no means they can claim absolute certainty.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register