A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Wearing Shorts (or Revealing Awrah) In Private

Tagged: , ,

• Wearing Shorts (or Revealing Awrah) In Private

Posted by Muhammad Sami ud-Din on October 6, 2023 at 12:10 am

Asselamu aleykum,

Narrated Bahz bin Hakim:

“My father narrated to me from my grandfather, who said: ‘I said: “O Messenger of Allah! Regarding our ‘Awrah, what of it must we cover and what of it may we leave?” He said: “Protect your ‘Awrah except from your wife or what your right hand possesses.”‘ He said: “What about a man with another man?” He said: “If you are able to not let anyone see it, then do so.” I said: “What about a man when he is alone?” He said: “Allah is most deserving of being shy from Him.” (Jami’ at-Tirmidhi 2769 / Sunan Ibn Majah 1920)

Based on this hadith, my question is, Is that also prohibited to uncover our awrah at private, where no one can see us? For instance, sometimes (especially in summers), shorts are the comfortable wears. So Kindly clarify this in the light of Qur’an and Sunnah, Thanks.

Umer replied 6 months, 3 weeks ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Wearing Shorts (or Revealing Awrah) In Private

Umer updated 6 months, 3 weeks ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • Faisal Haroon

Moderator October 8, 2023 at 1:35 am

Shorts generally do not reveal the awrah (private parts) so there is no harm in wearing shorts.

• Umer

Moderator October 8, 2023 at 4:18 am

As per Quran, we are required to hide our private parts and parts annexed to private parts in the presence of other people. Exposing our private parts in front of others fall in the definition of “Fawahish” which is a sin. None of this applies when one is alone or with wife. This Hadith is also pointing to this fact to not expose private parts in front of others except for wife. The last part of the Hadith is not a ruling or an injunction, rather a way to encourage modesty. Since modesty is not something which can be switched on and off anytime, rather it is something which starts as an innate feeling and is affected by the person’s environment and sensitivity towards it. Therefore, the more a person stays sensitive towards it, even alone, the more modest a person can stay in real life scenarios. However, there is no prohibition of this sort when one is alone.

And as pointed by Faisal Sahab above, there is no such issue when it comes to wearing shorts when one is alone.

• Muhammad Sami ud-Din

Member October 8, 2023 at 1:33 pm

Thanks for the replies. But, According to Ustad-e-Mohtaram (ha), the minimum awrah for a man is from navel till the knees, and for the woman the awrah would be from neck down till the knees, in order to perfectly cover the private parts and their adjoining areas. The shorts generally falls till above the knees, it will reveal the awrah of both man and woman. So, How it could be, that the shorts does not reveals the awrah?

• Umer

Moderator October 9, 2023 at 8:59 am

The issue is irrelevant when one is alone, since this directive applies only when one is in the company of other people.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register