Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Zakat On Earnings From Freelancing Work

Tagged: ,

• Zakat On Earnings From Freelancing Work

Posted by Amin Ansar on October 6, 2023 at 3:58 pm

Aoa, I want to know how much percentage of zakat is on freelancing.
    Things to consider:

1. It is a service that you provide to others. It could be making a website for a business or a mobile app

2. There is time, energy, expertise, intellect involved in this

3. There is also monetary investment in equipment such as computer, electricity, and internet. As for the equipment which is the computer, one doesn’t have to upgrade it very often, mostly it is one time investment.

4. There is no tax taken as of now by Pakistani government from freelancers so freelancers get to keep the full amount of income

Please tell me the percentage of zakat I need to pay when I complete a project and receive income from it.

Umer replied 6 months, 3 weeks ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Zakat On Earnings From Freelancing Work

Umer updated 6 months, 3 weeks ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • Faisal Haroon

Moderator October 7, 2023 at 1:51 am

Computers, Internet, and electricity are not considered as investments. Instead, they are considered as business expenses. Unless any work is conducted as a proper business with initial / ongoing investment, Zakat is calculated at 10% of the production.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator October 7, 2023 at 2:23 am

An exception regarding computer equipment can be when specialized equipment is purchased for business. Also if you dedicate some of your personal equipment for business and that point forward there is no or minimal personal use of such equipment. These cases will be considered as investments if you run freelancing as a proper business.

• Amin Ansar

Member October 7, 2023 at 2:38 am

Okay, thanks!

• Umer

Moderator October 8, 2023 at 3:23 am

Please also note that there is no absolute tax exemption for freelancing work in Pakistan. 100% tax credit is available for startups for the first three years (subject to some conditions). After that, export proceeds from I.T services are subject to 0.25% of deduction at source by the banks till tax year 2026.

You are advised to kindly consult a professional in this regard.

• Amin Ansar

Member October 8, 2023 at 5:09 am

So, banks automatically take that tax when I receive money from abraod?

• Umer

Moderator October 8, 2023 at 5:22 am

This is not an appropriate question for this platform. It is better to seek professional advice.

To get some idea, you can refer to Sections 65F and 154A of the Income Tax Ordinance, 2001. And for the rate of deduction, please see Division IVA of Part III of the First Schedule of the Income Tax Ordinance, 2001.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register