Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Contradiction In Interpreting The Prohibitions In Quran 2:173 And 7:33

• Contradiction In Interpreting The Prohibitions In Quran 2:173 And 7:33

Posted by Mian Samiullah Hassan on October 7, 2023 at 4:46 pm

Salam, my question was regarding matters of halal and haram. Mr. Ghamidi always quotes verse from Surah A’raf, which mentions that only these five things are prohibited. However, if we look at the principle stated in verse 2:173 of Surah Al-Baqarah, it also says that only these things are prohibited for consumption. So, why do Ghamidi sahab dont give importance to the word ‘only’ here too? From my understanding, for 2:173 ayat Ghamidi sahab says that people already knew the other things which were prohibited and Allah said (only) just among food items which people declared haram on themselves …If this is the case, then we can also infer from Surah A’raf that Allah only spoke of those things which people had unlawfully declared haram on themselves.” Why Ghamidi sahab take word (only) in different way here?

Umer replied 6 months, 4 weeks ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Contradiction In Interpreting The Prohibitions In Quran 2:173 And 7:33

Umer updated 6 months, 4 weeks ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • Ahsan

Moderator October 7, 2023 at 10:33 pm

Ghamidi sb refers to 7:33 while talking about halal actions and haram while verse 2:173 is about edible stuff. There is a difference in the scope of the verse. For more details, see Discussion 49337

• Umer

Moderator October 7, 2023 at 11:47 pm

Both Quran 7:33 and 2:173 have style of “Hasar” in them i.e. the use of “اِنَّمَا” as referring to “Only” these things. However, in both these instances the context of Hasar must be kept in mind. Quran 2:172 first talks about All Tayyibat being Halal and then 2:173 includes prohibition of only those four items among all Tayyibat (i.e. things which had potential to be considered as Tayyab). While Quran 7:28 onwards is more broader in context where it talks about matters of “Zeenat” and that they have all been declared Halal by Allah and then comes Hasar that among every such thing only five matters have been declared Haram by Allah.

For comments of Ghamidi Sahab, please refer to the video below from 48:44 to 52:21

https://youtu.be/RKCOvg5F_Z4?si=yGeicdaxd4Q9tUxL&t=2924

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register