Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Epistemology and Philosophy Difference Between Izza (إذا) And Izz (اذ) Used In Quran

Tagged: ,

• Difference Between Izza (إذا) And Izz (اذ) Used In Quran

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar October 16, 2023 at 3:06 am

Izaa takes the tense into future and iz indicates past event.

• Saqib Raza

Member October 16, 2023 at 12:02 pm

JAK for replying Dr. Sb.

Iz does seem to indicate past tense but then I am confused about the following examples:

إِذْ تَبَرَّأَ الَّذِينَ اتُّبِعُوا مِنَ الَّذِينَ اتَّبَعُوا وَرَأَوُا الْعَذَابَ

وَإِذْ قَالَ ٱللَّهُ يَـٰعِيسَى ٱبْنَ مَرْيَمَ ءَأَنتَ قُلْتَ لِلنَّاسِ ٱتَّخِذُونِى وَأُمِّىَ إِلَـٰهَيْنِ مِن دُونِ ٱللَّهِ

وَلَوْ تَرَىٰ إِذْ وُقِفُوا عَلَى النَّارِ فَقَالُوا يَا لَيْتَنَا نُرَدُّ

Also the following aren’t future for izza, right?

حَتَّىٰ إِذَا فَشِلْتُمْ وَتَنَازَعْتُمْ فِي الْأَمْرِ وَعَصَيْتُمْ مِنْ بَعْدِ مَا
    وَإِذَا جَاءُوكُمْ قَالُوا آمَنَّا وَقَدْ دَخَلُوا بِالْكُفْرِ وَهُمْ قَدْ خَرَجُوا بِهِ

وَإِذَا سَمِعُوا مَا أُنْزِلَ إِلَى الرَّسُولِ تَرَىٰ أَعْيُنَهُمْ
    يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا مَا لَكُمْ إِذَا قِيلَ لَكُمُ انْفِرُوا
    وَإِذَا أُنْزِلَتْ سُورَةٌ أَنْ آمِنُوا بِاللَّهِ وَجَاهِدُوا مَعَ رَسُولِهِ
    كَذَٰلِكَ أَخْذُ رَبِّكَ إِذَا أَخَذَ الْقُرَىٰ وَهِيَ ظَالِمَةٌ

Also for وَإِذَا رَأَيْتَهُمْ تُعْجِبُكَ أَجْسَامُهُمْ ۖ وَإِن يَقُولُوا۟ تَسْمَعْ لِقَوْلِهِمْ why is izza used in the first part and
    “wa in” used in the second part

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar October 17, 2023 at 3:39 am

This is the general rule that I told you. Then comes its different usage which are many. A past event in the future setting and future even in the setting of the future is a common Arabis style. Then it tells a different tense.

Iza takes the tense into a conditional sense, equivalent to it in English is “When” which sometimes takes present or past tense but it is still conditional. Also, it can be used in perfect tense. The same goes for Iza.

If you are interested in details, you need to learn grammar and there is a list of different uses of iza and iz.

• Saqib Raza

Member October 17, 2023 at 9:36 pm

Yeah I figured I jumped the gun posting the question. I need to do my due diligence. I guess what I was trying to ask is that does the grammar encode that let’s say izza is being used to refer to an event that has occurred, or can it be that the exact same sentence can ambiguously refer to both cases. The reason I asked is because I was wondering that IFF the grammar or context does not indicate a specific zaman, would then the shaaz meaning be automatically discounted (e.g. Surah Nasr).

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register