Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Youth and Islam Muslims And Non-Muslims From Islamic Point Of View

• Muslims And Non-Muslims From Islamic Point Of View

Posted by Sameer Namole on October 18, 2023 at 12:34 pm

How should a Muslim view the rest of the world? Like from a muslim perspective is there any difference between Muslims and non-Muslims. It is often seen that Muslims tend to consider other Muslims as their brothers or close companions and non-Muslims as outsiders. Does Islam endorse this perspective or intention?
    Even if we assume that Islam doesn’t differentiate between Muslims and non-Muslims, it is sometimes observed that there is a slight bias(edge) towards Muslims. Many Hadiths mention that the entire Muslim community is like one body, and that a Muslim is a brother to another Muslim. So, I want to understand the real perspective from an Islamic point of view.
    Recently, I was listening to Maulana Wahiduddin Khan, and one of his statements provided me with a beautiful insight. He said that Muslims are people of the book, just like Christians and Jews were during the time of Muhammad (peace be upon him). So, I look at them in the same way. This has helped me neutralize many of my beliefs and unnecessary stress. Previously, I used to perceive Muslims as those who truly believed in the faith, and this caused me frustration when I saw them committing sins. But now, if I perceive them as a community with the “Quran or the Book of God,” my disappointment decreases or disappears, and I can separate this community from Islamic ideology.
    What is the correct perspective to adopt in this matter? This is somewhat akin to our basic belief system or how Ghamidi Sahab provides four basic political beliefs. Your answer could potentially lead to a paradigm shift or a change in perspective for me, which is why this response is quite important to me. JazakAllah.

Dr. Irfan Shahzad replied 6 months, 2 weeks ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Muslims And Non-Muslims From Islamic Point Of View

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar October 19, 2023 at 12:55 am

Islam does not restrict to make friends and establish close relations with non-Muslims. The Quran, where it condemns the people of the Book and polytheists, it was in the perspective of the ongoing conflict and wars between Muslims and their opponents. There is no general instructions to stay away from non-Muslims. In its stead, the Quran tells that Muslim men can marry the women of the people of the book and also can eat their food including the meat of the animals slaughtered by them pronouncing the name of God on them.

Both can live in a land peacefully. The matter of faith is what God will judge. Everyone is responsible for believing in the truth for which one should search and establish one’s beliefs on solid arguments.

• Sameer Namole

Member October 19, 2023 at 1:09 am

Yes sir I got your point, but my question asks has quries beyond this answer. My question was “How should a Muslim view other Muslims?” Should we have different glances in general to cast Muslims and Non-Muslims into different categories? Like as I’ve quoted a context from Maulana Wahiduddin Khan that he said “Muslims are people of book like Christians and Jews” so is this perspective right or should we watch “Muslims are Believers?” Because once we start viewing Muslims from the glance of “Momins”, expectations are high, and space for mistakes are negligible. Like as even Prophet Muhammad has said on multiple occasions that ” a lier is not among us”, “one who misbehaves with neighbours is not among us” etc. So if we are to watch muslims as “Momins” or somewhat a community who is enlightened by faith, we can’t just easily see them doing grave sins, the heart wrenches then. Hope my question is clear now. JazakAllah sir …

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar October 20, 2023 at 4:58 am

Every religion teaches ethics. Muslims are taught not some unique ethics. In faith, Muslims have another bond in addition to normal human bond. In social matters, are all equal.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register