Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Encounter Of Hadhrat Maryam (as) With The Angels

• Encounter Of Hadhrat Maryam (as) With The Angels

Posted by Muhammad Sami ud-Din on October 22, 2023 at 8:55 am

Asselamu aleykum,

According to Shaykh Ibn-i Arabi (ra), The people after the Holy prophet (sav), can also encounter with the angels. While, Ustad-e-Mohtaram (ha) denys this opinion of Ibn-I Arabi (ra).

But, It is a established truth, that has been mentioned in the Holy Qur’an that Hadhrat Maryam (as) encountered with the archangels.

While, It is still debatable among the scholars that whether she was a prophetess or not. We know that Allah didn’t sent any female prophetess. Because, the prophethood is a difficult task. So, How she witnessed the angels, being a normal human being?

Scholars such as a Deobandi scholar Tariq Masood (ha) have pointed this to be the prove of the Miracles of Awliya Allah.

Please clarify this. Thanks.

Dr. Irfan Shahzad replied 6 months, 1 week ago 2 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Encounter Of Hadhrat Maryam (as) With The Angels

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar October 23, 2023 at 12:22 am

God has demanded us to believe in the Unseen, Ghaib. If one encounters angels in such an explicit way as it is assumed, the divine scheme of believing in the Unseen stays null. The only exception made in this regard is only for the propehts.

During the time of the prophets, some non-prophetic personalities are contacted by angels or in dreams to tell them some important news about the prophets. It was done only when something related to prophets necessarily involved some non-prophetic people.

Exceptions cannot become the basis for general rules. and the general rule is to believe in the Unseen.

• Muhammad Sami ud-Din

Member October 23, 2023 at 1:25 am

Sir, That’s why Ibn-i Arabi (ra) suggested that if this was possible for the non-prophetic personalities in that era, then surely it is be possible for the ummah of Prophet (sav), too. Many people are reported to have encountered Prophet (sav) in their dreams after which they converted to Islam. And During the time of Prophet Musa (as) and Prophet Isa (as), all the Israelites saw many things, which are un-imaginable. Those scholars who have claimed to have been encountered with God in their dreams, never claimed that they saw Almighty directly. Such as, What Ibn-i Arabi (ra) wrote in Futuhat-e-Makkiyya.

• Muhammad Sami ud-Din

Member October 23, 2023 at 1:29 am
  • Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar October 23, 2023 at 1:30 am

Your question was about angels.

This is a second query whether one can see the prophet in dreams or not. Yes, there is a possibility of seeing the prophet in dreams but one cannot be sure that the person he is seeing is actually the prophet as no one knows what he looked like. since true dreams are possible one may hope to see the actual person of the prophet in one’s dreams. This is not seeing Ghaib or unseen.

Ibn Arabi’s suggestion is against God’s scheme. Exceptional cases do not provide the basis for generalization.

• Muhammad Sami ud-Din

Member October 23, 2023 at 2:55 am

Actually, I asked the question for Tasawwuf only. Because, It is really challenging for me to know the reality of Tasawwuf. Since childhood, we are learning that there are still some kind of people with us, who can perform extra-ordinary things. As a student of Islam, I am just trying to reach the truth. The thing which is making me upset, is if one can know what is in Lawhal Mafhuz, with performing the Satanic activities. That means it is possible to see in Lawhal Mahfuz. Then, how one cannot see in Lawhal Mahfuz, through becoming a Wali of Allah, as Sufis says (Note that I am referring to this term, in which our traditionalist scholars have interpreted it). There have been many disciples of Sufi scholars, who have reported to witness some extraordinary things with them. If it isn’t true, then How can all of them remained mislead?

At first, I used to follow our Ustad-e-Mohtaram (ha) in almost every opinion. But, now I am independently trying to know Islam, more by myself. Allama Wahid ud-Din Khan Sb. (ra) once said that, “The real teacher teaches his disciples, how to think, instead of enforcing their own thoughts on them.” And that’s a pecious thing, which I have only learned from Ustad-e-Mohtaram (ha) and other great scholars of Dabistan-e-Shibli like him. So please help me in this regard, Thanks.

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar October 24, 2023 at 3:31 am

It becomes a challenge only if they have proved something through their visions. They have been just claims and just claims are no challenge. These are either hallucinations or insinuations from the devils. That is why many Sufi are found favouring Satan’s disobedience to God when he refused to bow down to Adam. Quran says:

وَيَوْمَ يَحْشُرُهُمْ جَمِيعًا يَا مَعْشَرَ الْجِنِّ قَدِ اسْتَكْثَرْتُم مِّنَ الْإِنسِ ۖ وَقَالَ أَوْلِيَاؤُهُم مِّنَ الْإِنسِ رَبَّنَا اسْتَمْتَعَ بَعْضُنَا بِبَعْضٍ وَبَلَغْنَا أَجَلَنَا الَّذِي أَجَّلْتَ لَنَا ۚ قَالَ النَّارُ مَثْوَاكُمْ خَالِدِينَ فِيهَا إِلَّا مَا شَاءَ اللَّهُ ۗ إِنَّ رَبَّكَ حَكِيمٌ عَلِيمٌ

هَلْ أُنَبِّئُكُمْ عَلَىٰ مَن تَنَزَّلُ الشَّيَاطِينُ ‎

‏ تَنَزَّلُ عَلَىٰ كُلِّ أَفَّاكٍ أَثِيمٍ ‎

‏ يُلْقُونَ السَّمْعَ وَأَكْثَرُهُمْ كَاذِبُونَ ‎

Apart from this, performing extraordinary feasts that apparently have no scientific explanation is the work of human psycho powers. Certain people with such powers are found in almost every community. This is another science, not something about faith or religion.

• Muhammad Sami ud-Din

Member October 25, 2023 at 5:21 am

Indeed, we should believe on the unseen, and that’s the test. But, As I have said before Ibn-i Arabi (ra) never claimed to witness God, directly. And many predictions made by the Sufis, have came true now. I know that anyone can have the ability to make predictions from birth, as Bana Vanga (may she rest in peace) also predicted many events, which have been came true, now. But, Sufis are never claimed to be like that, from birth. It is stated that, they get these extra-ordinary from their own struggles. There may be some Sufis who have justified the evil and rebellious act of Satan, as there are some mislead Sufis orders. But, the senior well-respected Sufis never justified the act.
    Can we clearly and directly prove through Qur’an and Sunnah, that the beliefs of the major Sufis are not in accordance with Islam? There are the verses of the Holy Qur’an and some hadith such as Bukhari 6502, which are pointed by Sufis as the prove of the authenticity of their beliefs. Kindly shed some light on that, Thanks.

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar October 26, 2023 at 4:54 am

As said earlier, the Quran has told us this is the test to believe in the Unseen and it includes angels, hell and heaven, the process of revelation, etc. If one claims that he has witnessed a part of the unseen, he is telling against the divine scheme.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register