Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Traditions Claiming Prophet (sav) Divorcing The Wives Without Touching Them

• Traditions Claiming Prophet (sav) Divorcing The Wives Without Touching Them

Posted by Muhammad Sami ud-Din on October 25, 2023 at 4:10 pm

Asselamu aleykum,

A little bit ago, I saw some hadith or traditions claiming that the Prophet (sav) had the relations with the women for a short time, and divorced them due to their physical flaws, such as leprosy.

A weak Muslim like me, would be very skeptical about it. It later became a headache for me, being a traveling Muslim, provided I was 14-15 at time. Because, The traditions which I read were very disturbing, which were also recorded by Imam Tabari (ra). The thing which looks so stupid to me is, some people are using these traditions to justify the Nikah Mutah, the legalization of Zina.

Please see,
    https://www.icraa.org/prophet-muhammad-unconsummated-marriages-proposals/

Umer replied 5 months, 4 weeks ago 2 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Traditions Claiming Prophet (sav) Divorcing The Wives Without Touching Them

Umer updated 5 months, 4 weeks ago 2 Members · 5 Replies
  • Muhammad Sami ud-Din

Member October 25, 2023 at 4:17 pm

As an example I mention this;

Narrated Abu Usaid;

We went out with the Prophet (ﷺ) to a garden called Ash-Shaut till we reached two walls between which we sat down. The Prophet (ﷺ) said, “Sit here,” and went in (the garden). The Jauniyya (a lady from Bani Jaun) had been brought and lodged in a house in a date-palm garden in the home of Umaima bint An- Numan bin Sharahil, and her wet nurse was with her. When the Prophet (ﷺ) entered upon her, he said to her, “Give me yourself (in marriage) as a gift.” She said, “Can a princess give herself in marriage to an ordinary man?” The Prophet (ﷺ) raised his hand to pat her so that she might become tranquil. She said, “I seek refuge with Allah from you.” He said, “You have sought refuge with One Who gives refuge. Then the Prophet (ﷺ) came out to us and said, “O Abu Usaid! Give her two white linen dresses to wear and let her go back to her family.” (Bukhari 5255)

Narrated Sahl bin Sad

An Arab lady was mentioned to the Prophet (ﷺ) so he asked Abu Usaid As-Saidi to send for her,
    and he sent for her and she came and stayed in the castle of Bani Saida. The Prophet (ﷺ) came out and went to her and entered upon her. Behold, it was a lady sitting with a drooping head. When the Prophet (ﷺ) spoke to her, she said, “I seek refuge with Allah from you.” He said, “I grant you refuge from me.” They said to her, “Do you know who this is?” She said, “No.” They said, “This is Allah’s Messenger (ﷺ) who has come to command your hand in marriage.” She said, “I am very unlucky to lose this chance.” Then the Prophet and his companions went towards the shed of Bani Sa`ida and sat there. Then he said, “Give us water, O Sahl!” So I took out this drinking bowl and gave them water in it. The sub-narrator added: Sahl took out for us that very drinking bowl and we all drank from it. Later on Umar bin Abdul Aziz requested Sahl to give it to him as a present, and he gave it to him as a present. (Bukhari 56:37)

• Muhammad Sami ud-Din

Member October 25, 2023 at 4:30 pm

I don’t know if these two traditions are referring to same event or not. But, I just provided it from the website.

• Umer

Moderator October 31, 2023 at 12:43 am

The question is not clear, besides what is the link of unconsummated marriage with Mutah?

Unconsummated marriages of Prophet (sws) is a possibility and there is nothing objectionable about that, however there are conflicting reports regarding some of those marriages.

• Muhammad Sami ud-Din

Member October 31, 2023 at 3:08 pm

Are the traditions of Prophet (sav) divorcing these women just because of their physical flaws, such as leprosy, and the tradition I provided above authentic?

• Umer

Moderator November 2, 2023 at 8:46 pm

There are contradictory reports in this regard and there is nothing which can be said with certainty. For historical narrations, we can only show our inclination towards a particular incident or opinion based on overall probability of events, there is no way to verify incidents which have contradictory reports. The leprosy reports have contradiction in them, both with resect to the names of women and the reason for divorce, so the best we can say is that it might have occurred (there is a possibility) but we do not know with whom and when did it happen. In this regard, the statements of Ibn-e-Abdul Barr and Imam Dahabi are very apt which are also mentioned in the beginning of the article shared in the question.

However, it must be kept in mind that Prophet Muhammad (sws) was at certain time forbidden by Allah to divorce any of his wives (Quran 33:50-52) therefore, if some divorce like this had actually happened then it must be before the revelation of these verses.

As for the woman mentioned in the narrations quoted above, following discussion might be helpful:

Discussion 84719

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register