Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Eye Contact In Islam

Tagged: , , ,

• Eye Contact In Islam

Posted by Sadiqa Ali on November 11, 2023 at 12:49 am

Is eye contact of the opposite gender in Islam haram? According to surah nur verse 30 and According to a tradition related by Buraidah, the Prophet (peace be upon him) instructed Ali: O Ali, do not cast a second look after the first look. The first look is pardonable but not the second one. (Tirmizi;, Ahmad, Abu Daud). Jarir bin Abdullah Bajali says that he asked the Prophet, What should I do if I happen to cast a chance look? The Prophet (peace be upon him) replied: Turn your eyes away or lower your gaze. (Muslim, Ahmad, Tirmizi, Abu Daud, Nasai). So according to the quoted hadiths and ayat above is it haram for a men or women to make eye contact or to look at opposite gender even without any bad intentions? What if someone is talking to you do you have to keep resisting watching them?

Sadiqa Ali replied 5 months, 3 weeks ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Eye Contact In Islam

Sadiqa Ali updated 5 months, 3 weeks ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar November 13, 2023 at 1:00 am

To lower one’s gaze is an idiom to means do not stare. It is normal to look at the person while talking. It is the gaze with bad intention or staring that is forbidden as a Sad e Zarya, a preemptive measure. When there is no bad intention, causal interaction in a normal way is not objectionable

• Sadiqa Ali

Member November 13, 2023 at 3:09 am

What if you see a person with affection in your heart for that person but you aren’t having any bad intentions you just admire the person due to his characteristics would it be Zina of eyes?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar November 13, 2023 at 10:21 pm

Since there is no bad intention, so the cause of prohibition is not there, therefore it is not prohibited.

• Sadiqa Ali

Member November 14, 2023 at 2:02 am

Then what bad intentions actually are?

• Muhammad Sami ud-Din

Member November 13, 2023 at 3:40 am

How do we know that this is an idiom? The hadiths are actually commanding to lower our gazes or to turn away our eyes. Kindly clarify.

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar November 13, 2023 at 10:28 pm

The knowledge of language and its uses tells what is literal or metaphor. We know the different meanings of heart in these two sentences:

My heart is pounding.

I respect you from the bottom of my heart.

Lowering gaze is the most common way to turn away your gaze. It means to avoid looking at someone and of course, it is with a cause and the cause is to avoid lustfulness. When there is no lust involved, it is not forbidden to look at our close relations like father mother brother, and sister. Doctors are allowed to their patients. So it is staring or looking with lust or bad intention which is forbidden.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register