Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Hadith To Love And To Hate For The Sake Of Allah

Tagged: ,

• Hadith To Love And To Hate For The Sake Of Allah

Posted by Sadiqa Ali on November 13, 2023 at 10:42 am

There is a hadith that goes like this:

Abu Umamah reported: The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, said, “Whoever loves for the sake of Allah, hates for the sake of Allah, gives for the sake of Allah, and withholds for the sake of Allah has perfected the faith.”

Source: Sunan Abī Dāwūd 4681
    Grade: Sahih (authentic) according to Al-Albani

Now In the light of this hadith Allah in Quran at several places told us that He doesn’t love this person like He doesn’t love the arrogant and boastful etc now if I have a relative who is boastful or any stranger who is boastful does that mean I have to hate him too because Allah doesn’t love him so I also can’t love him or her? please clarify

Dr. Irfan Shahzad replied 5 months, 3 weeks ago 2 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Hadith To Love And To Hate For The Sake Of Allah

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar November 14, 2023 at 2:39 am

The hadith does not say to love and hate a person. But to love and hate. This is of course the reason which is loveable or hatable. to love and hate does not necessarily mean the ultimate feelings of love and hate. These include liking and disliking. However, when a person completely submerges himself in something good or bad, he becomes the epitome of love or hate, and then we start loving and hating or liking or disliking him.

On the other hand, we have the example of the prophet who used to pray for his enemies too.

• Sadiqa Ali

Member November 14, 2023 at 2:44 am

I couldn’t understand please can you explain a little more like the person I mentioned who is arrogant what should be my attitude towards him? Would it be based on love or hate according to this hadith

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar November 14, 2023 at 10:52 pm

His attitude is hatable but one should pray and hope for him or her to be modest someday. But if his or her arrogance becomes a permanent trait of his or her personality, they are hatable.

• Sadiqa Ali

Member November 14, 2023 at 11:08 pm

If it becomes a permanent trait of his/her personality so would it become a religious obligation to hate them?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar November 15, 2023 at 2:48 am

Feelings are not actions to perform. If one is a conscious Muslim, his feelings work accordingly.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register