Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Epistemology and Philosophy Doing Hadith Interpretation On Isbal-Izar And Taking Risk Of Being A Sinner

Tagged: ,

• Doing Hadith Interpretation On Isbal-Izar And Taking Risk Of Being A Sinner

Posted by Amin Ansar on November 16, 2023 at 1:25 am

For example, the Hadith that tells us to keep our garments above our ankles. When one argues with a person on that it is for people wearing garments resembling izar but then the other person says that making conclusions based on our knowledge means taking a risk and whatever prophet pbuh told us we must do it otherwise we are taking a risk. That We must choose between a chance of making Allah angry or just blind following whatever is told to us. This does worry me as well now. What to do about this? I am worried Allah will not like the fact that we are taking such risks.

An example is Dr. Zakir Naik’s video here, main point I am talking about starts from 3:21

Umer replied 5 months, 1 week ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Doing Hadith Interpretation On Isbal-Izar And Taking Risk Of Being A Sinner

• Umer

Moderator November 19, 2023 at 11:36 pm

If this is something of a serious concern to you and our epistemological approach does not make sense to you where Quran is given supreme authority and all ahadith are studied in the light of Quran, then you can follow the Hadith in literal sense and keep your trousers above your ankles. However, the hadith talks about Izar (which was tehband at that time) but not about other legwear like trousers, Pajamas etc. So such intricacies will create more trouble for you when following hadith in their literal meaning.

Ghamidi Sahab writes while concluding this topic:

The issue of isbal-i izar is no different. It was very common among the arrogant in the pre-Islamic Arab society to wear a long shirt, let the loose end of their turban hang below their back and let their legware (izar) dangle so far below the ankles that half of it would drag behind on the ground. In Arabic, this is called isbal. The Prophet (sws) showed his great dislike for this, and once remarked that the Almighty would not like to see the person on the Day of Judgement who walked while arrogantly dragging his leg-cloth (tehband). All narratives regarding izar relate to this appearance.

It can however be said about the tehband that if it is allowed to dangle below the ankles, then it to some extent resembles the appearance of the arrogant just discussed; so care must be exercised even if the purpose to make it dangle is not arrogance. Thus this can be said about the tehband. However, it is a fact that this resemblance is only reflected in the tehband; it has no similarity with a shalwar, a pajama and a trouser.”

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register