Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Friendship With Non-Muslims Including Atheists

• Friendship With Non-Muslims Including Atheists

Posted by Sadiqa Ali on November 19, 2023 at 3:18 am

In surah zukhruf ayat 67 Allah says:

“Close friends, that Day, will be enemies to each other, except for the righteous”

So can we not be close friends with the non Muslims.

And I have another question can a Muslim be friends with an atheist?

Sadiqa Ali replied 4 months, 3 weeks ago 2 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Friendship With Non-Muslims Including Atheists

Sadiqa Ali updated 4 months, 3 weeks ago 2 Members · 5 Replies
  • Umer

Moderator November 22, 2023 at 12:06 am

Quran 43:67 quoted above is about scenario of the day of judgement, it does not apply to the life in this world.

__

There is no absolute prohibition of having friendship with anyone now. The prohibition in Quran was about Kafirs of that time who were declared Kafirs by Allah. Quran clealy mentions that:

Believers! Do not befriend My and your enemies. You extend ties of affection with them, whereas they have denied the truth that has come to you. They drive out the Messenger of God and you merely because you have professed faith in God, your Lord. If you set off to fight for My cause and to seek My pleasure, concealing sending messages of friendship to them even though I know what you conceal and what you reveal, then think what you do? And, in reality, whoever among you who do this have strayed from the straight path.” (Quran 60:1)

AND

God does not forbid you to do good and be just to those who have neither waged war against you in the matter of religion nor driven you out of your homes. Indeed, God likes the just. What God forbids you is to make friends with those who have fought against you on account of your religion and have driven you out of your homes and helped others in driving you out. [He forbids you from this and warns you that] those who make friends with such people, it is they who are the wrongdoers.” (Quran 60:8-9)

For further details on Friendship with Non-muslims or Atheists, please refer to the following thread:

Discussion 1378

• Sadiqa Ali

Member November 22, 2023 at 2:04 am

If we will be friends with someone closely here they would be our enemies in hereafter accept the righteous so if we befriend any non Muslim wouldn’t it means that he would be our enemy there and you said the prohibition was for those kafir who were declared as kafir by God so when someone was declared kafir by God was the ties also severed by Muslims of those time immediately and we’re they not allowed to be friends with any kafir?

• Umer

Moderator November 22, 2023 at 4:02 am

Quran says Except for the righteous who fear God, not necessarily Muslim or a Non-Muslim. A Muslim can turn out to be non-righteous in this world while a non-muslim can turn out to be righteous in this world. This is something to be decided by God on the day of judgement.

Yes, ties were ordered to be cut off from people who were active adversaries of the messenger and the muslims and who played a role in driving them out of their homeland because of their religion. Quranic verses I shared above are very clear in this regard. Please give them another read.

• Sadiqa Ali

Member November 23, 2023 at 5:00 am

Was reading an article and this came can you please clear it, is there any logic in what he is saying and if no then please clarify why

• Sadiqa Ali

Member December 10, 2023 at 8:02 am

But what about an atheist as you can see the verse applies the condition those who fear God but we know that atheist don’t believe in God so how would they fear?

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register