Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Being Best Is Arrogance?

• Being Best Is Arrogance?

Posted by Sameer Namole on December 17, 2023 at 10:25 am

Many times, you know that you are the best. Whether it’s being the best in a subject in your entire class, financially, or within your circle, you are aware that you excel. Sometimes, to improve your mindset, you have to believe that you are the best among everyone. Does this mindset indicate arrogance, or does it show others’ inferiority? For instance, as a teacher, if you acknowledge that you are superior, could it be considered arrogance? Often, practicing positive thinking involves considering yourself the best in everything. Is this also a form of arrogance?

Sameer Namole replied 4 months ago 2 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Being Best Is Arrogance?

Sameer Namole updated 4 months ago 2 Members · 8 Replies
  • Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar December 21, 2023 at 12:20 am

Arrogance involves contempt for others. To be better than others should cause gratefulness.

• Sameer Namole

Member December 25, 2023 at 9:17 am

“The definition was quite accurate. I know now what can turn into arrogance and what cannot. But I want to understand when you sometimes feel superior on your own. This is different than being better or best, this objective criteria of authority. There are instances when you have authority, like being a dean, principal, parent, or spouse, and at those times, you might feel a sense of superiority. How can one manage this mindset? I mean, when does it become arrogance, and when not? Is the desire to be dominant the same as arrogance?”

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar December 25, 2023 at 9:22 am

To be in a position of authority is a fact. To contempt others because of it is arrogance. Now it is your conscience that tells you when you go wrong.

• Sameer Namole

Member January 22, 2024 at 12:11 am

I am returning to grappling with this topic. It’s crucial for me right now. When I find myself in a dominant position in a discussion, like playing the role of a policeman, teacher, or even in a “man-to-woman” conversation with my spouse.

The issue is that you tend to become playful. I don’t always prefer being serious; you joke, tease your friends, etc. So, how do you distinguish whether that teasing behavior is just playful or if it borders on rudeness or arrogance?

I understand your principle. I appreciate it if, at times, Allah has made us superior or given authority. But there might be moments when you have to express anger or give criticism to your juniors, teachers, etc.

Either you are venting your anger at times, or you are logically scolding with good intentions. So, I wanted to ask how you maintain this dominant frame of mind ethically when interacting with others. It’s possible that sometimes you might go a bit overboard.

Thank you.

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar January 22, 2024 at 12:15 am

This has to be decided by the person himself with honesty, and by the norms and code of behaviour set in a culture or environment.

• Sameer Namole

Member January 22, 2024 at 12:16 am

badi gehri soch me daal diya sir aapne XD

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar January 22, 2024 at 12:19 am

Such things are to be learned with practice, with trial and error with the the passage of time.

• Sameer Namole

Member January 22, 2024 at 12:21 am

that’s how life is all about “purification”. It’s process, unique and different for everyone. No one has got either starting line or finishing line as same to anyone else. There’s no ending point, you keep purifying yourself until death comes and are answerable to Almighty.

Ah .. new paradigm shift 🎉

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register