Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Awrah Of A Woman Infront Of Her Mahram Men

Tagged: , ,

• Awrah Of A Woman Infront Of Her Mahram Men

Posted by Muhammad Sami ud-Din on December 17, 2023 at 2:28 pm

Asselamu aleykum,

I am not of a nature to discuss these kind of topics, and I was feeling a great shyness and discomfort about asking that. Actually, I wanted to post that question earlier as well. But, I was hesitating and canceled the post. I have been a Hanafi, and have studied Hanafi fiqh. During that period, I learned that the awrah of a woman infront of her mahram men is from navel till the knees, as per Hanafi fiqh (in Fatawa ‘Alamgiri). (as per the interpretation of Surah an-Nur ayet 31, which says “Let them (believing women) draw their veils over their chests, and not reveal their adornments except to their husbands, their fathers, their fathers-in-law, their sons, their stepsons, their brothers, their brothers’ sons or sisters’ sons, their fellow women, those ˹bondwomen˺ in their possession, male attendants with no desire, or children who are still unaware of women’s nakedness.”

In my eyes, It is not in line with modesty that the women can walk without wearing anything on her upper body, infront of her mahram men. It would be acceptable if it would be like that, it is permissible for her to not wear scarf on her upper body, infront of her mahram men, or that she is not obligated to cover her upper body in that way, as it is obligated for her to cover infront of non-mahram men. But, as per this opinion her upper body is not a awrah at all, infront of her mahram men (i.e she can walk similarly as a man can walk without wearing shirts or bra).

I was hesitating to post that question. But, It’s important to address it as well. Because many Hanafis believe on this. So kindly clarify this in the light of Qur’an and Sunnah, Thanks.

For details see; https://islamqa.org/hanafi/daruliftaa/7730/are-a-womans-breasts-part-of-her-awra-in-front-of-mahram-men/ or https://seekersguidance.org/answers/hanafi-fiqh/a-detailed-exposition-of-the-fiqh-of-covering-ones-nakedness-awra/

Dr. Irfan Shahzad replied 4 months, 1 week ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register