Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Epistemology and Philosophy The Self And Free Will

• The Self And Free Will

Posted by Ali Javed on December 22, 2023 at 8:19 am

Salam,

My questions have to do with the reality of the nafs and the entity that is being tested in this world. I understand that Ghamidi Sahab has explained that the nafs and ruh are two separate entities, the former comprising of the latter in addition with the personality. The personality is everything that I know about myself and that, so far, has been connected to this world.

Will this part of me, (i.e. who I am), be discarded upon my death and will I be someone else after?

Will the ‘purification’ process for heaven be done by force or will we have the chance to converse with God prior to this?

Furthermore, to what extent, if at all, will free will be granted in the next life or are we to be programmed to conform to a self that is only in line with Gods desires? For example, an abused person living alongside their abuser for all eternity, having no knowledge of it at the same time. Will we be worshipping God there too, even if we don’t feel like it at any given moment? I recall a hadith saying we will be praising God like how we breath now. Is that not a limitation on the will we will have there?

I understand that we must focus on getting there first, but any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Jazakallah.

Dr. Irfan Shahzad replied 4 months, 1 week ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • The Self And Free Will

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar December 26, 2023 at 1:09 am

Purification is required to go and live in Jannah. In abuses and miseries, one feels more inclined towards God to find his relief. if he did not have any knowledge about God and the hereafter he would be judged according to his capacity and how he responded to the call of his conscience keeping in view his poor upbringing. We have the precedent in the Quran that God reduced the punishment of adultery to half for the slaves as compared to that of the freemen because they did not have the adequate environment to upgrade their morals.

This personality of human beings is suspended, which is metaphorically called sleeping till the day of judgment. Where their case will be judged in the court of God with all justice.

Free will will not be affected. Those who do not like to worship God, are not purified for denying their nature and do no deserve to go to Jannah.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register