Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Selling Graphic Design With Proper Measure And Being Clear About What's Missing

• Selling Graphic Design With Proper Measure And Being Clear About What's Missing

Posted by Amin Ansar on January 3, 2024 at 2:15 pm

Allah tells us to sell things with proper measure and also to not sell something without telling its faults. I am a website designer. Design is open-ended so there are always some faults that one may or may not be aware of. Also, there is no solid measure of the design. I can only say I will give client a website design and the rest is upto me that how much work I put in to it.

Since design is open-ended, I can’t just keep on looking at faults in the design as it will take a lot of time and effort. So, If the client is happy with the final product, is this enough to make the income/work valid?

Please note that since the client himself is not a designer, he will look at it from perspective of a normal person. So, him agreeing is based on that. He doesn’t know the impact of that particular design on the end-user. That’s the main problem causing me confusion. This is different than let’s say I sell someone a mobile phone and that the battery is not that good to which the buyer can agree without needing any knowledge.

Umer replied 4 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Selling Graphic Design With Proper Measure And Being Clear About What's Missing

Umer updated 4 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar January 3, 2024 at 11:08 pm

If the fault or a limitation causes a problem for the user, then it is deception/lie, but if the limitation does not affect the working, then it is ok. Possible fairness is essential.

• Amin Ansar

Member January 4, 2024 at 4:04 am

Since design is open-ended, there is always gonna be some kind of limitation. Although major limitations can be gotten rid of, there will always be room for improvement and I can’t work forever on a project. Also, it is about how much I investigate and not about solving issues because once I find there is an issue, I will fix it, it is the finding of it that I want to limit. What to do in this case?

• Umer

Moderator January 4, 2024 at 6:08 am

You can give a disclaimer to the client at the time of accepting the project that since the design is open-ended and you will resolve all the signifanct issues with the design and will try to resolve all the minor issues as well but there is still a slight chance (although very unlikely) that end user might encounter some minor issues. Additionally you can also choose to offer after sale service in cases where a minor issue is reported by the end user.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register