Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Epistemology and Philosophy Can Thoughts Be Sinful Too

Tagged: 

• Can Thoughts Be Sinful Too

Posted by Abdul Sattar Ahmed on January 10, 2024 at 9:34 pm

Growing up I always believed that simply having evil thoughts and intentions does not count towards the scale of bad deeds of a person unless one acts verbally or physically on it.

However, recently I saw the most recent Q&a with Dr.Saleem in which he said that even our thoughts can be held accountable for.

What does that mean? For example if one was to think about funny and nonsensical things (gibberish which sounds funny or past incidents) which are nevertheless of benefit in the form of stress relief. Or maybe another case in which a person constantly remembers a vulgur or dark joke or video clip just for the sake of humour value but keeps it to himself in his mind only? Is that person still a sinner. Plz educate me on the matter. Jazakallah khair

Abdul Sattar Ahmed replied 3 months, 2 weeks ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Can Thoughts Be Sinful Too

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar January 10, 2024 at 11:56 pm

Sinful, immoral, and unethical thoughts corrupt one’s self, which is against the goal of deen, that is, Tazkia e Nafs. Therefore, they are accountable. However, the evil thoughts or intentions that are supposed to be thought to translate into actions, but one refrains from translating them into actions for God’s fear or for doing Ahsan (good action) are worthy to be forgiven.

• Abdul Sattar Ahmed

Member January 11, 2024 at 11:50 am

So what I understand is that the essence of accountability is the influence such thoughts may have over a person. If one is able to maintain an upright character despite a jungle of thoughts and intentions in his mind and due to God’s fear and willingness to be of good character then that is what ultimately matters.

• Umer

Moderator January 11, 2024 at 12:17 am

Please always share proper reference (links, timestamps etc.) when quoting another scholar.

As for the comments of Ghamidi Sahab on this matter, please refer to the two videos provided in the following thread:

Discussion 38499

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register