Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums World Religions Beliefs Of Buddhism

• Beliefs Of Buddhism

Posted by Sadiqa Ali on January 19, 2024 at 7:32 am

Is Buddhism polytheist? I have heard that they don’t believe in God but at the same time say that they believe in spiritual beings i.e gods who exist in different realms and they also believe in dharma protectors who they believe that they’ll guide them and protect them but don’t worship them so is this their beliefs polytheistic in the light of islam

Umer replied 3 months, 1 week ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Beliefs Of Buddhism

Umer updated 3 months, 1 week ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • Umer

Moderator January 20, 2024 at 12:42 am

You can refer to the following article by Molana Islahi for a brief history of Budhism and their current beliefs as well:

Essence of Polytheism (6)

The primary belief of Buddha was based on unitarianism thus making it a mystic religion at the core of it with ultimate slogan “I am God and I am the truth” thus making it a polytheistic notion as well. Wahdat-ul-Wajud among Muslim Sufi scholars is also another form of the same belief. The practices of current followers of Buddhism vary in different places. He is now worshipped as a god in China, Japan, Tibet, Burma etc and his magnificent statues and temples surprise many onlookers. His followers in China are also involved in worship of all kinds of ghosts, spirits, gods and goddesses (which is also form of polytheism). There is a worse situation in Tibet. The greatest religious priest of Tibet, the Dalai Lama, is believed to be Buddha’s incarnation and exercises godliness similarly. When the Dalai Lama dies there, every woman is desirous of giving birth to a new god and the new god is chosen through casting lots from among the children who are born during that period.

• Umer

Moderator January 20, 2024 at 12:45 am

• Umer

Moderator January 20, 2024 at 12:46 am

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register