Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Youth and Islam Downloading And Watching Movies And Series From Pirated Or Illegal Websites

Tagged: ,

• Downloading And Watching Movies And Series From Pirated Or Illegal Websites

Posted by Tayyaba Hafeez on January 29, 2024 at 3:28 am

I have been watching animated series (Japanese anime) and movies (Disney/Hollywood) since childhood and have many of them downloaded in my laptop. However, I recently found out that the websites I watch or download these series/movies from are illegal and provide pirated movies and episodes. Am I sinful for using these websites? Also, what about the series I have already downloaded for personal use? Is it permissible to watch the ones I’ve already downloaded? Would it be a sin to do so?

Umer replied 2 months, 4 weeks ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Downloading And Watching Movies And Series From Pirated Or Illegal Websites

Umer updated 2 months, 4 weeks ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • Umer

Moderator February 1, 2024 at 4:21 am

Piracy is not only illegal but is also a kind of theft which is a sin. Therefore, a Muslim should refrain from downloading and watching such content

Mistakes are not counted with God if they are done out of ignorance, but this ignorance must not be willing ignorance, in which one refused to know and deliberately avoids knowing, but should be an accidental one. Therefore, if the disobedience is unintentional, God will not hold a person accountable. His law is that if a person commits a misdeed unintentionally, He will not punish him. While stating a directive about adopted sons, the Quran says:

وَلَيْسَ عَلَيْكُمْ جُنَاحٌ فِيمَا أَخْطَأْتُم بِهِ وَلَكِن مَّا تَعَمَّدَتْ قُلُوبُكُمْ وَكَانَ اللَّهُ غَفُورًا رَّحِيمًا

And the mistake you have made in this matter shall be forgiven, but in what your hearts make an intention shall not be forgiven. God is Ever-Forgiving and Ever-Merciful. (Quran 33:5)

Therefore, one can hope that Allah will forgive previous sins in this regard because of an unintentional mistake. However, in order for forgiveness to be sincere and acceptable in the sight of Allah, it is required that one should mend their ways and not indulge in that sinful activity ever again. Hence one should refrain from watching pirated content anymore, even if downloaded in the past.

__

Please refer to the video below from 1:10:35 to 1:15:19

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register