Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Personal Commitments, Promises With Allah And Charitable Giving

Tagged: ,

• Personal Commitments, Promises With Allah And Charitable Giving

Posted by Mohammad Razi on February 2, 2024 at 12:21 am

As salamualaykum. I trust this message finds Mr. Ghamidi Sahab and everyone well. Your collective wisdom is a valuable service to all of us. Thank you.

My question:

Inspired by a TV program, a few years ago, I made a commitment to make Allah SWT a partner in my business, giving away 10% of HIS share to charity monthly. I also set aside 5% each for my parents and my kids’ health, making it 20% in total. Now, due to financial challenges, and even generally speaking, I’m unsure about the practicality of continuing these commitments. It’s a tough decision because I’m worried about the impact on my family and fear divine consequences for reconsidering. I need guidance on finding a balance between keeping my self imposed promises and taking care of my finances and family.

Thank you!

Jazak Allah Khair,

Mohammad Razi

Mohammad Razi replied 2 months, 4 weeks ago 2 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Personal Commitments, Promises With Allah And Charitable Giving

Mohammad Razi updated 2 months, 4 weeks ago 2 Members · 6 Replies
  • Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar February 3, 2024 at 9:03 am

10% of production is due as zakat, whether it is agricultural produce or industrial. Kids are your responsibility, however, you can count the share of your parents in zakat, and you need not tell them it is zakat. The amount of production should be taxable. The taxes you pay to the government can be counted as zakat paid. This is what is obligatory you. and if the business is not good enough, you are exempted.

Your promise to God is an addition to what your actual obligation is. It is just like to promise God that you will say obligatory prayers. You make this promise or not, it is your duty to say your prayers.

• Mohammad Razi

Member February 4, 2024 at 6:58 am

Thank you for your response, Dr. Shahzad. I made a promise to Allah that I’d give 10% of my business money to charity each month. But I need to save for a house. If I break this promise, will Allah forgive me? It’s a promise I made myself. Do these promises become like must-do things in Islam?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar February 5, 2024 at 2:44 am

Making a promise with God is a serious thing. You have to compensate this withdrawal with atonement of oath. That is feeding 10 needy people a full day average meal or clothes, or keeping there fasts consecutively.

For details read the article on the given link.

https://www.javedahmedghamidi.org/#!/mizan/5aa6a4315e891e8f44a45788?chapterNo=13&subChapterNo=0&subChsecNo=0&lang=ur

• Mohammad Razi

Member February 5, 2024 at 8:08 pm

Thank you. Jazak Allah Khair Dr. Shahzad 🙂 You’ve put my mind at rest.

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar February 5, 2024 at 10:52 pm

Correction

“…keeping three fasts consecutively”

• Mohammad Razi

Member February 7, 2024 at 5:14 am

Thank you Dr. Shahzad 🙂 Noted. 🙂

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register