Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Istikhara, OCD And Dreams

Tagged: ,

• Istikhara, OCD And Dreams

Posted by Mohammad Ali Soomro on February 4, 2024 at 1:22 pm

My question is about istikhara that it is said that after istikhara one is not necessarily guided by dream but is guided by Allah in many ways and dream may or may not be a medium for it.

now if for example a person with OCD loves a girl and has so much deep love for her that he’s so emotionally attached to her. he has already made his mind to marry her. his knowledge and experience and intellect says that this girl is very good for him and that he should go for get. then he also thinks of doing istikhara. but such a person with heavy OCD always keeps doubting. if after istikhara he gets a dream in any time later he may think that “what if it’s from Allah and it means I should not proceed with marriage. but at the same time what if this dream that I received is not from Allah but just some random dream and that in reality this girl is actually good for me”

he also gets worried of losing her if she’s not bad for him. he’s scared of doing something under influence of his thinking that he’s been guided not to go for marriage, but in reality it was not guidance and the girl was actually good for him but now he has ended up all things and striked his own foot with axe for nothing. he stroked his own foot with axe, losing both a good girl and his lover because of his misinterpreting when in reality she was suitable for him. he’s scared of such thing happening

even if he receives some dream then if he doesn’t understand, then he fears telling the one who understands dreams thinking that what if they also misinterprets my dream and I fall in the same loss mentioned above

what would be the message to such a man who does istikhara? does he need to think on his dreams if he gets one later? does he need to tell someone else if he can’t relate if it’s pointing in such direction or not? and if he doesn’t tell anyone or even interpret himself out of fear of losing her because of a false misinterpretation, would it be Islamically okay for him? should he do istikhara in the first place if he has extreme OCD? should he pay attention to dreams? or he should keep on doing what he was doing following what is best according to his intellect, and not pay any attention to any other thing after istikhara (in a simile, he should as if forget that he has ever done istikhara and do things as he was doing based on intellect, and don’t ponder or think on dreams or any thoughts that come in mind without any context)?

Mohammad Ali Soomro replied 2 months, 3 weeks ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Istikhara, OCD And Dreams

• Umer

Moderator February 4, 2024 at 11:50 pm

This is a misnomer about Istikhara that it has to do something with dreams. Istikhara is nothing but a sincere prayer to Allah to help us and make this particular matter happen for us if it is good for our life and the hereafter and vice versa. Just like all other prayers, after this prayer as well, we should make decisions in the light of intellect and leave the result to the Al-Mighty.

To understand the reality of Istikhara, please refer to the video below from 1:46:46 to 1:50:19

https://youtu.be/WFuFbzoeALs?t=6406

• Mohammad Ali Soomro

Member February 5, 2024 at 1:00 am

@UmerQureshi so sir if someone does get a dream about that particular thing or related to it. one should just discard it and go on as he was normally going on, right?

• Umer

Moderator February 5, 2024 at 1:37 am

If the intellect is giving a clear verdict then one should not bother about dreams. If the matter is doubtful, then one should make a decision after thinking it thoroughly and then go for it. Allah will definitely open ways for the person in hundred different ways which may not necessarly be a dream all the time. And if by any chance, any dream is shown then those dreams are crystal clear to the person without any doubt.

• Mohammad Ali Soomro

Member February 5, 2024 at 3:02 am

@UmerQureshi I didn’t understand the last part that if dream is shown then it’s crystal clear. so should he go for dream even if it’s against all intellect?

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register