Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islam and State Drug Decriminalization Approach In Islamic States

Tagged: ,

• Drug Decriminalization Approach In Islamic States

Posted by Haseeb Faisal on February 5, 2024 at 3:26 pm

Asalamualaikum,

As of January 31, 2023, British Columbia decriminalized the possession of certain illicit drugs if the amount is less than 2.5 grams. Trafficking remains illegal. The purpose behind this move is to treat drug use a ‘health matter’ rather than a ‘criminal matter’, so that there is greater effort in turning drug users to treatment and harm reduction options.

I find this approach to be very interesting, having heard discussions regarding the futility of punishment in drug use in terms of reforming people. I’m not sure what the data suggests one year later, but assuming that this approach is effective, is this a strategy that can be employed in Islamic States?

On the one hand, I recognize that intoxicants are forbidden even in small quantities. Perhaps people who are using these substances even in small quantities continue to cause harm to those around them. Furthermore, it’s possible that society becomes desensitized to drug use, leading to higher quantities being ignored in the future, whether officially or not.

On the other hand, I wonder if drugs users can be considered victims in the same way as people who take loans on interest. And so their dependency or vulnerability makes decriminalization a necessity in order to assist the drug-using population at any substantial level.

I would appreciate any insights!

JazakAllah

Haseeb Faisal replied 2 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Drug Decriminalization Approach In Islamic States

Haseeb Faisal updated 2 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar February 7, 2024 at 1:24 am

Shariah has not made any legislation in this regard. It is the discretion of the government to make law against it in the best intestet of its citizens.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member February 9, 2024 at 12:25 am

JazakAllah Dr. Irfan Shahzad.

• Umer

Moderator February 9, 2024 at 3:51 am

Criminalization of an act/activity can be done only if it falls in the law-making domain of the state. Following video discusses criminalization of intoxicated subtances in general and alcohol in particular.

Please refer to the video below from 20:43 to 29:19

https://youtu.be/i8bERiNYXnI?si=YyiREduNlUmQFNJt&t=1243

• Haseeb Faisal

Member February 27, 2024 at 1:29 pm

JazakAllah Umer Bhai,

Will review the video!

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register