Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islam and Science The Concept Of Cosmos In Quran Being Borrowed From Greek Mythology

• The Concept Of Cosmos In Quran Being Borrowed From Greek Mythology

Posted by Saif ULLAH on February 13, 2024 at 2:37 am

Salam. I came across a comment by a Christian on the web saying whatever there is in the Quran about cosmos is borrowed from Greeks and thus is not word of God as held so dear by Muslims as a source of pride. He says many Muslims and Greeks interacted as they travelled back and forth exchanging knowledge and goods and thus Greeks’ cosmos knowledge made its way into Arab society long before Muhammad (PBU). He went on adding about a verse where Quran talks about universe being in a gaseous state, if I can recall correctly. This person basically then explained how this verse is wrong as universe can’t be in a gaseous state stating different factors. I just want Ghamidi sb to shed some light on this troubling assertion by this chap of Quran borrowing from Greeks. Thank you.

Saif ULLAH replied 2 months, 2 weeks ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • The Concept Of Cosmos In Quran Being Borrowed From Greek Mythology

Saif ULLAH updated 2 months, 2 weeks ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar February 13, 2024 at 5:30 am

Quran in in a literary language, not a scientific one. It states the observable facts as they are described in a language. As far as the metaphysical facts or the way God created the universe is the knowledge of God. Greek science has nothing to do with it. Some far-fetched similarities are counted to make a mountain out of a mole. The one who claims the similarities needs to confirm with evidence that such kind of information is borrowed from Greece and also how it was transmitted to Arabia, as no traveling history is known from Arabia to Greece.

Such speculations need to prove their grounds first. If they could build a solid premise, only then it can be taken into account to see its validity. One should not bother oneself with speculations and ill-founded allegations.

• Saad Aamir

Member February 13, 2024 at 5:37 am

Ironic a Christian is claiming this since they have been accused by scholars for borrowing savior son of god mythology from Greek/Roman, whose very language they used to write the four Gospels’ manuscripts. But when you make that accusation, they will say “But it’s all speculation, there is no evidence, don’t claim such things, just because of some similarities” yet they are quick to accept a more far-fetched speculation when it favors them.

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar February 13, 2024 at 5:51 am

Allegations do not get validation with such arguments. Every allegation needs to be proven to make it considerable. The collaboration of early Christians with Greeks is a fact. The Gospels were written in Greek for the first time. The myth of the trinity is a tenant of Greek mythology. This is not the case with Arabia. The burden of proof is on the one who puts up allegations. Only then we can judge it.

• Saif ULLAH

Member February 13, 2024 at 5:52 am

I’m sorry I mistakenly said Christian because that’s the impression l got after I read his remarks and name. So I take the Christian part back and thank you for replying.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register