Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Palestine Conflict – Quranic Reference On Patience And Divine Help

Tagged: , ,

• Palestine Conflict – Quranic Reference On Patience And Divine Help

Umer updated 2 months, 1 week ago 4 Members · 12 Replies
  • Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar February 15, 2024 at 11:10 pm

Verse: 2: 153

• Merajuddin Mohammed

Member February 16, 2024 at 1:23 am

JazakaAllahu khair Irfan bhai, to understand this verse further in the context. As Sabr has broader meaning in Arabic, why cant we understand sabr in this verse as steadfastness in battle field specially when next verse talks about Martrys in battlefield.

I will be thankful if you can explain this

JazakaAllahu khair

• Saad Aamir

Member February 16, 2024 at 3:50 am

I believe Ghamidi Sahab was also referring to verse 4:77 too. Translation of verse in Al-Bayan:

Have you not seen those who when they were told: “[The time to wage war has not come as yet; so,] withhold your hands, adhere to the prayer and pay zakāh,” [they would evade the prayer and the zakāh and show impatience to wage war]…..

https://www.javedahmedghamidi.org/#!/quran?chapter=4&paragraph=41&type=Ghamidi

• Merajuddin Mohammed

Member February 16, 2024 at 4:22 am

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Saad. I am asking in the context of current stand which Hamas took againest Israel and Ghamdi Sir video also related to this.

If we read full verse which you referred,here Allah is talking about people who run away when actual fight is enforced. So in my opinion its not applicable for them. See full verse translation below

“Have you not seen those who when they were told: “[The time to wage war has not come as yet; so,] withhold your hands, adhere to the prayer and pay zakāh,” [they would evade the prayer and the zakāh and show impatience to wage war].[140] However, when war was made obligatory upon them, their situation now is that one group from among them fears people the way God should be feared or even more. They say: [141] “Lord! Why have you made this war obligatory upon us? Why did you not give us some more respite?” Tell them: Very little is the provision of life, and for those who adhere to piety, the Hereafter is much better for them and there you shall not face injustice the slightest.”

• Saad Aamir

Member February 16, 2024 at 4:27 am

Yes. The verse ends with hypocrites, who are marked for their impatience for war and do not appreciate Allah’s call to delay fighting and seek sabr through prayers. I am just pointing out that Ghamidi Sahab was referring to the time period (at 0:26 of your shared video) where Allah decided that fighting isn’t possible for while and instead Muslims should seek sabr through prayer.

In other words.

There is a time to fight and there is a time to avoid fighting. One shouldn’t be fighting all the time, sometime you need to wait and build actual power base. That is how Ghamidi Sahab is combining 4:77 and 2:153 in my opinion, 4:77 is the context of the sabr mentioned in 2:153.

• Merajuddin Mohammed

Member February 16, 2024 at 5:00 am

JazakaAllah, I understand your point i.e. “There is a time to fight and there is a time to avoid fighting. One shouldn’t be fighting all the time, sometime you need to wait and build actual power base.”

But what I dont agree is, this verse 4:77 justifies that point, because it’s context is different.

And how can we link 4:77 to 2:153 for context when 2:153 has got it’s own context. As far as I understand this goes againest rules of Farahi school for understanding quran.

Please correct me if I am wrong

• Saad Aamir

Member February 16, 2024 at 5:05 am

Basically 2:153 is the principle and understand it like this: Allah is with those who practice sabr so seek sabr through prayer.

This is the principle, keep this in mind, this principle will be applied throughout the Qur’an.

Now in 4:77 Allah says for a while “Hold your hands back from fighting and offer prayers (for sabr)”

So Ghamidi Sahab is referring to Salah as call for sabr in 4:77 (keep 2:153 principle in mind). Simply refer to the start of the verse to explain that there was a time period where Allah forbid fighting and advised sabr (through prayer) instead. Then when the Muslims gained enough power, Allah lifted this restriction and made fighting obligatory when the time was right but before the time, the command was do not fight yet, seek sabr (through prayer) instead as seen in start of 4:77.

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar February 16, 2024 at 4:30 am

The verse is generic as its words suggest. God is with the ones who observe patience, whether this patience is observed during battle or in the form or endurance against persecution.

• Merajuddin Mohammed

Member February 16, 2024 at 4:44 am

Thanks for you reply, please correct me if I am wrong. What I understand from Ghamdi sir is if the word has multiple meanings we need to first look at full verse even if that doesn’t clear the actual meaning then we need to look full context in which this verse is placed in the quran. So next verse reveals context i.e. about battle field.

If this is the verse Ghamdi sir referring to in that video then I think its going againest the rules which were defined by farahi school of thought.

Just to be clear, I am not here to debate. I sincerly wants to understand.

• Umer

Moderator February 16, 2024 at 10:50 pm

This seems to be in accordance with Quran 2:190-194 where Ethical Limits of War are mentioned in Quran:

عِنْدَ الْمَسْجِدِ الْحَرَامِ حَتَّى يُقَاتِلُوكُمْ فِيهِ فَإِنْ قَاتَلُوكُمْ فَاقْتُلُوهُمْ كَذَلِكَ جَزَاءُ الْكَافِرِينَ فَإِنْ انتَهَوْا فَإِنَّ اللَّهَ غَفُورٌ رَحِيمٌ وَقَاتِلُوهُمْ حَتَّى لَا تَكُونَ فِتْنَةٌ وَيَكُونَ الدِّينُ لِلَّهِ فَإِنْ انتَهَوْا فَلَا عُدْوَانَ إِلَّا عَلَى الظَّالِمِينَ الشَّهْرُ الْحَرَامُ بِالشَّهْرِ الْحَرَامِ وَالْحُرُمَاتُ قِصَاصٌ فَمَنْ اعْتَدَى عَلَيْكُمْ فَاعْتَدُوا عَلَيْهِ بِمِثْلِ مَا اعْتَدَى عَلَيْكُمْ وَاتَّقُوا اللَّهَ وَاعْلَمُوا أَنَّ اللَّهَ مَعَ الْمُتَّقِينَ

And fight in the way of Allah with those who fight against you and do not transgress bounds [in this fighting]. Indeed, God does not like the transgressors. And kill them wherever you find them and drive them out [of the place] from which they drove you out and [remember] persecution is worse than carnage. But do not initiate war with them near the Holy Kabah unless they attack you there. But if they attack you, put them to the sword [without any hesitation]. Such disbelievers deserve this very punishment. However, if they desist [from this disbelief], Allah is Forgiving and Merciful. And keep fighting against them, until persecution does not remain and [in this land] Allah’s religion reigns supreme. But if they mend their ways, then [you should know that] an offensive is only allowed against the evil-doers. A sacred month for a sacred month; [similarly] other sacred things too are subject to retaliation. So if any one transgresses against you, you should also pay him back in the same coin. And have fear of Allah and keep in mind that Allah is with those who remain within the bounds set by Him. (Quran 2:190-194)

Hamas trangressed and violated the ethical limits by launching an offensive against non-militants and comments of Ghamidi Sahab can be better understood when seen in the light of above verses.

More details on Ethical Limits explaining the above verses can be found in the following thread:

Discussion 32294

• Merajuddin Mohammed

Member February 17, 2024 at 12:22 am

JazakaAllahu khair Umair bhai, thank you very much. this verse seems to be what Ghamdi sir referring to i.e. Allah is with those who remains within bounds set by him.

Can you please also give me quranic reference to what he is saying around 3:00. i.e. Allah will be with the patient even if they are standing without weapon

JazakaAllah

• Umer

Moderator February 18, 2024 at 11:54 pm

There are several places in Quran where importance of Sabr has been highlighted and Quran 2:153 as highlighted above by Dr. Irfan Shahzad Sahab holds a very primary position in this regard. When read from verses 153 to 157, it is to demonstrate Sabr when faced with different afflictions ranging from death, poverty, hunger, fear etc. and God is with those who demonstrate sabr. The context here does not violate any principles of Farahi School.

Other verses which are also pertinent in the context of Sabr and Divine Help are Quran 12:18 (when seen in the whole context of the story of Prophet Yusuf), Quran 14:12 and Quran 16:126-128

Following comments of Ghamidi Sahab will also assist further in the context of Quran 12:18:

Please refer to the video below from 24:14 to 30:14 (specifically from 29:03 onward)

https://www.youtube.com/live/FjLYbqgej2o?si=mnHsvWocjwAn6yRk&t=1454

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register