Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Epistemology and Philosophy Opinions In Classical Literature On Where The Garden Of Adam Was Located?

Tagged: ,

• Opinions In Classical Literature On Where The Garden Of Adam Was Located?

Posted by Muhammad Saad Ali on February 15, 2024 at 9:49 pm

I understand from the exegesis of Mr. Ghamidi that Adam was kept in a garden on Earth (and not in the eternal Paradise). I also understand his arguments for this opinion. For my study, I am curious to know if a similar opinion has been expressed by classical exegetes, and if yes, it would be great if someone can provide references for those.

Muhammad Saad Ali replied 2 months, 1 week ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Opinions In Classical Literature On Where The Garden Of Adam Was Located?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar February 15, 2024 at 10:27 pm

It is not possible to trace the location. It was never important to tell the location therefore no information is given in the Qur’an and the Bible.

• Muhammad Saad Ali

Member February 16, 2024 at 1:33 am

Thank you. I understand that and I don’t want to know the location either. That wasn’t the purpose of my question. I am only interested, for my study, to know which exegetes of the Quran have implied that it is a place on Earth.

After having posted my question, I was able to look through the tafsir of Imam Razi. Imam Razi quotes 4 opinions on the matter but in this list the first opinion he has mentioned is this one (i.e. that it was a place on Earth). For this he has quoted two scholars: Abu al-Qasim Balkhi and Abu Muslim Isfahani. Both of these are Mu’tazili scholars which seems to explain why later books of tafsir seem to imply that this opinion is a Mu’tazili opinion. As per my understanding, Imam Razi has not explicitly expressed his own inclination towards any particular opinion, but the 3rd opinion in the list he has mentioned is the one that he states is the opinion of the majority of Ahl-us-Sunnah i.e. that it was Jannah. If i were to take a guess I would say Imam Razi probably favors the first opinion (i.e. on Earth) because that opinion is the one that he goes the most in detail about, and enlists various arguments for, and the other 3 opinions he merely mentions.

To reiterate, my endeavor here is purely academic i.e. to find out which exegetes of the Quran have said that the garden in this ayah refers to a garden on Earth.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register