Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums General Discussions Is Sadd E Zariya Law Related To Probabilities?

• Is Sadd E Zariya Law Related To Probabilities?

Posted by Mohammad Ali Soomro on February 23, 2024 at 11:24 pm

Hello Assallam u alaikum

my question is for example A man living in boys hostel and is pious with good haya. he understands that if he takes out his phone and while using phone if he watches a female with lustful stare, the probability of him actually committing Zina because of this action for example 3% (just a vague number only for example). and because Allah has commanded not to see someone with lustful stare, then doing it is sin.

if later he gets a scholarship from America for studying there for 5 years. His mathematical and overthinking mind, makes him realize that now if he goes to America, living there alone, he would be going out of house more frequently for recreational and work purposes, getting exposed to girls with more revealing clothes in his surroundings, unmarried relationships being very common. and he would be living there for 5 years.

then he realizes his time at hostel, if at that time when he was sitting in hostel, the chances of him getting into Zina because of that lustful stare was 3% and even then Allah disallowed such an action and it was a sin. then here in this situation his going to America for 5 years would comparatively have more probability of him falling in Zina. let’s say it’s 7-10% if he goes to America. then it must be higher sin that that.

keeping such probabilities in mind, if he comes to conclusion his going to America is also a sin, maybe even more than lustful stare. will he be wrong? does Islam directs us to use such probabilities and consider things sinful like this? Lustful stare is a sin because Allah himself prohibited him, but if a person rigidly sticks to sadd e Zariya principle, he might use such probabilities to say they going to America in above cases would be sinful (even though Quran or Sunnah never disallowed it). is this thing Islamically correct?

Dr. Irfan Shahzad replied 4 months, 2 weeks ago 3 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Is Sadd E Zariya Law Related To Probabilities?

• Umer

Moderator February 26, 2024 at 11:55 pm

This type of thinking is against the spirit of Islamic Directives. Islam does not work on probabilities. When there is an actual sin happening somewhere then going to that place should be avoided on grounds of Sadd-e-Zariya. Lustful gaze is prohibited to prevent from a major sin of adultery as a Sadd-e-Zariya measure and we should try to work on our gaze instead of declaring everything prohibited which involves even decent gazing. If somehow that 7-10% probability does occur, then it is a minor sin and one should repent and try to work on his gaze. And minor sins will Insha’Allah be forgiven if one stays away from Major sins including sins involving Fawahish.

• Mohammad Ali Soomro

Member March 1, 2024 at 1:01 am

@UmerQureshi sir here I meant that 7-10% probability is linked to going to America (I’m not saying he gazed at that moment, he just decided to go there to America despite the knowledge of 7-10% getting near Zina if he goes there). if he still goes after applying, will it be minor sin (just the mere action of going there and living there will be minor sin or not ?). or it will be sin only when he gazes. I’m asking because if his mere going to America to sinful then deliberately trying to plan and then do it, seems to get a little bit in shade of Istikbar… unless yes if the action of going to America and living there in itself is not a sin in this case then he planning it to do and doing it deliberately is halal too. I’m just talking along these lines.

so according to you, if I’m not wrong he knowing that if he goes to America, he’ll get 7-10% closer to Zina. but despite this his going there won’t be sinful. and if he gazes then this lustful gaze is sinful and he should work to get it better. but the minor sin is only when he lustfully gazes, not by living and staying in America itself in this case, am I right?

• Umer

Moderator March 2, 2024 at 11:30 pm

Yes, you are right.

• Mohammad Ali Soomro

Member March 12, 2024 at 11:24 am

@UmerQureshi Sir can you please help me in one thing,

I have a question regarding relation of An act which has a probability of leading to a major sin, committing such act being minor sin in itself And the mathematical probability, a person maps in his mind

I’ll just use an example for explanatory purpose;

Ahmad for suppose has a data about people indulging in Backbiting (this thing only happens when a conversation between humans happen).

He sees that an average Muslim indulges in backbiting 1 out of every 20 conversations the man does with their friend/cousin/relative.

for a pious Muslim nowadays, it’s about 1 in every 50 conversations.

The stats vary from individual to individual sometimes 1/3 sometimes 1/60.

for Ahmad himself it is about 1/30, that he calculated

Had the meetups not happened, the sin of backbiting won’t happen, as it’s door is actually meetups between humans

Now when he was about to marry a girl. he suddenly realizes, that marrying this girl means having new relationships with her family. which inevitably means that he will have to attend their invitations, meetups, dawats and visiting them and their coming to his house. which if is extended throughout his life, would mean 1000+ instances of meetups and conversations.

Now keeping in mind the stats presented above (in average 30 meetups, he did one backbiting), but now it’s like 1000+ meetups (which means risk of 33+ instances of backbiting). all happening if he marries her.

(even if it’s not 33+, and even if he tries to improve things a lot, he’ll still be at high risk of committing at least 25 instances of backbiting)

so now he concludes that,

me marrying her => inevitable high risk of many instances(25+) of backbiting.

Ahmad looking at this started to think in the lines of sadd e zariya principle and started to think that me marrying her is a minor sin. because here, just a one instance of marriage will result in 25+ instances of backbitings. Is Ahmad correct to conclude that his marrying to this girl, a minor sin?

This was just about Backbiting, we can place many other major sins in its place

A normal person might not think this deep, but a person with a deep fine detail thinking mind can easily discover, simple probabilities like above in different scenarios

Now coming to my question, I understand that no one considers ‘marrying’ a minor sin in above case, despite knowing all the risks as I mentioned above. and these risks would have been present in times of prophet as well but he did not prohibit from them, this gives a hint that it’s not a minor sin.

But I can’t deny the simple fact of probability the above example presents, that marrying her = many instances of backbitings. point of view of sadde zariya principle, says that this is minor sin. but then again, this would eventually lead to Rehbaniyat (as this not only applies to marriage, it can be applied numerous things which inevitably expose us to having relations with people), which is also not required in Deen. How can the contradiction be resolved?

(the solution that came in my mind was that only the things that are directives of Allah or his messengers, based on sadde zariya, their intentional violations would be minor sins. apart from that, such cases of probabilities are not minor sins even if there’s clear mathematical probability like above provided that the act is halal in itself.

such an explanation really settles the contradiction)

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar March 14, 2024 at 1:40 am

Right.

• Mohammad Ali Soomro

Member March 15, 2024 at 12:01 am

@Irfan76 so sir even in these clear mathematical probabilities like the one I said above,

marriage = very high probability of some incidences of backbiting.

even if in such mathematical probabilities, even if it involves sin like Riya on the other hand. such probability would not render marriage itself as a minor sin, am I right?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar March 15, 2024 at 2:46 am

Right

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register