Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Youth and Islam Extramarital Relations Using Contraceptives

Tagged: ,

• Extramarital Relations Using Contraceptives

Posted by Taimur Chaudhry on February 26, 2024 at 1:45 am

I would like to understand this matter in its principle.

If it is assumed that it can be 100% guaranteed that a man and woman can have physical intimacy without getting pregnant, what is Islam’s reasoning for it still being unlawful? If the purpose of the institution of marriage is to provide a strong foundation for children, why is it required for a man and woman that can 100% guarantee a child will not be conceived?

This is one of the main objections I hear from non-Muslims that they make to argue that Islam (and other religions) are outdated. That they prohibited consensual extramarital relationships because at those times it wasn’t possible to 100% guarantee a child will not conceived. But that is now possible (or could be in the near future).

Dr. Irfan Shahzad replied 1 month, 4 weeks ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Extramarital Relations Using Contraceptives

Dr. Irfan Shahzad updated 1 month, 4 weeks ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar February 26, 2024 at 7:57 am

The actual reason is to protect the institution of family which requires a man and a woman to raise their children with complete devotion. In extramarital relationship it is not possible to establish complete devotion. Rivalry, preferring one to another, emotional attachment and detachment with different partners, switching a favourite from one to another, etc, doesn’t allow to establish a family unit where children need complete attention from both their parents.

For the same reason, illicit relationship before marriage is not allowed too, as precautionary measure.

• Taimur Chaudhry

Member February 26, 2024 at 10:52 pm

I understand the part of not raising children outside of marriage.

My focus is on the precautionary measure. If it is 100% guaranteed no children will be involved (conceived or adopted) what THEN is the reasoning/rationale/justification behind forbidding extramarital relationships?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar February 28, 2024 at 11:20 pm

If one develops extramarital relations, he or she won’t be able to satisfy the sexual needs of their spouses and also this interest in others will affect the raising of the children. If the person is not married, but he or she will marry one day to raise a family, this habit should not be developed and has to be avoided later.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register