Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Epistemology and Philosophy Innate Human Nature And Quran's Mentioning Of Being Taught What We Didn't Know

• Innate Human Nature And Quran's Mentioning Of Being Taught What We Didn't Know

Posted by Syed Muhtashim Gilani on March 4, 2024 at 10:49 am

Quran 2:verse151

(Just as We have sent among you a messenger from yourselves reciting to you Our verses and purifying you and teaching you the Book and wisdom and teaching you that which you did not know)

Some time ago i watched the full series of ghamidi sahb on human nature and i got a clarity and understanding of it. That Prophets only came to Remind us of what was already in our nature and not something alien to us,and that we are born on the true nature or deen e fitrat. And i believe so,there is no doubt about it. Afterwards one chooses whether he wants to choose the right path or the wrong path.

However the verse that i mentioned arises a confusion in me. These specific words i see in several verses of Quran which are as follows ( taught what you knew not, or did not know or were not aware of before). So the theme is that we were not aware of something. Now what is that something,that obviously depends upon the context of that verse,and since i am not a regular student of Quran,i seek your help. Ghamidi sahb also says that Prophets came to Remind us of the things that we already feel( sense of right and wrong, sense of only one God, sense of justice,and sense of hereafter) and the second thing that they told us was the sharia though which they reformed the people of those times. Can we say that God is talking about the sharia(rituals etc) when he says that we didn’t know about it. Surah Baqra verse 151 in the end says( teaching that which you didn’t know)

Similarly the first surah revealed said( taught you the pen and taught you what you knew not)

Kindly just explain only these 2 verses and also give me a short clue of this phrase(knew not) which is used everywhere in the Qur’an. What does God mean when he says you knew not before? Please give me a rough idea of its implication on different verses on Quran. Thanks for reading i appreciate that.

Dr. Irfan Shahzad replied 1 month, 3 weeks ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Innate Human Nature And Quran's Mentioning Of Being Taught What We Didn't Know

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar March 5, 2024 at 4:13 am

To find something innately and to know are two different things. To know means to know with certainty that there is a God and he did create the world for a test and there would be a hereafter to establish justice and give rewards to the deserving ones. When this is told to us, nothing is alien to accept, but to know these as facts is knowledge which the prophet and we too, do not know, unless told

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register