Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia How To Make-up For The Leftover Fasts In The Past

Tagged: ,

• How To Make-up For The Leftover Fasts In The Past

Posted by Behzad Khan on March 5, 2024 at 5:09 pm

1. I have missed some fasts in Ramadhan over the course of years due to whatever reason. Do I need to make up of all missed fasts with a safe calculation of how many I may have missed from year 18 onwards? And also am I supposed to pay Fidya as well for those missed fasts? So make up and also pay Fidya? Can you please clarify?

Also can Fidya be paid to people of Palestine as charity?

Umer replied 1 month, 3 weeks ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • How To Make-up For The Leftover Fasts In The Past

Umer updated 1 month, 3 weeks ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • Umer

Moderator March 7, 2024 at 11:15 pm

In such a sitution, one can either keep the fasts or pay Fidya. The fidya for one fast is meal for one day given to a deserving individual (an amount equal to what a person eats himself). It can be given to help the people of palestine.

Please watch:

https://youtu.be/LnMdrAR_qt8?si=qv_aNGxiXNjAp6kN

• Umer

Moderator March 7, 2024 at 11:16 pm

Please refer to the video below from 35:09 to 38:27

• Behzad Khan

Member March 8, 2024 at 3:41 am

Asalam u alaikum!

JazakaAllah for the reply. So the Fidya is based on where the person who has missed the fasts is living, regarding meal for the day does this mean 2-3 meals for the day including breakfast or just one meal for the day?If I was to send the money to people of Palestine then it can be send as Sadaqa if no Fidya option is available? But my intention is Fidya.
    Also just double checking if I pay Fidya there is no need to makeup those fasts ?

• Umer

Moderator March 8, 2024 at 11:57 pm

It is an estimate of what you usually eat during your days (could be two times or three times). Yes, it can be sent as Sadqa if not being sent as Fidya.

Following is the hierarchy for making-up the missed fasts:

i) If it is possible to make-up the fasts which were left because of sickness or other genuine reason, then one is required to keep those fasts once one recovers from that condition.

ii) If making up those fasts is not possible because of permanent nature of illness then one can pay Fidya as described above. A person who was unable to keep obligatory fasts in the past without any reason, there is no explicit guidance available in Sharia in this regard. So Ghamid Sahab suggests that person should in addition to repentance, try to make-up for those fasts as much as possible (via Nafl Fasting) but if that seems too much hardship then one can also choose to pay Fidya if one has enough resources. If one chooses to pay Fidya then there is no bar to not opt for Nafl Fasting whenever one gets a chance, this act will also help in acceptance of the repentance.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register