Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Paying Zakat And Taxes Separately

Tagged: 

• Paying Zakat And Taxes Separately

Posted by Syed Murtuza Quadri on March 21, 2024 at 4:22 pm

Assalamualaikum,

I have a Question related to zakat. So far I have been paying zakat according to the Majority way. Now Since I have started following Ghamidi Sahabs opinion.l, there is a bit of confusion on how to calculate my zakat. I usually pay my Income tax at the end of Financial year. Govt. Only takes the tax in our yearly income. Since they don’t take anything from our Savings. Can I pay zakat on my savings in Ramadan and pay the zakat( Tax) on my income at the end of Financial year. This way I will be paying zakat twice a year? Will this be alright?

Syed Murtuza Quadri replied 1 month ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Paying Zakat And Taxes Separately

Syed Murtuza Quadri updated 1 month ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • Faisal Haroon

Moderator March 21, 2024 at 7:27 pm

Zakat and taxes are not one and the same, however, you can deduct the taxes that you paid in the previous year from your total zakat obligation.

Zakat on assets is due once a year. You can pick any day of the year to dispense your zakat. Generally people like to pay their zakat in Ramadan, but that is not a requirement.

Zakat on production is due upon production (e.g. salary received). You may choose to defer this to the day that you pay your assets / savings zakat as well in order to keep things simple.

On your chosen day, calculate your total zakat for the year and deduct any taxes paid in the previous 12 month period. If there is a remaining balance, you should pay it on that day.

You may enter appropriate numbers in our Zakat Calculator after reading the description for each box. When you reach the end, it will generate a statement showing you exactly what you owe after any applicable deductions, and what percentage was applied to each category. It’s also a great way to learn the sharia of zakat.

View Zakat Calculator

• Syed Murtuza Quadri

Member March 21, 2024 at 8:44 pm

Jazakallahu Khairan,

What if the last year’s income was below the government’s set threshold and no Tax was charged. Should we still pay the zakat on it?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator March 21, 2024 at 9:03 pm

Zakat is only due once the nisab is met. For details please see the Zakat Calculator link shared above.

• Syed Murtuza Quadri

Member March 30, 2024 at 2:56 pm

Thank you,

I work as a Uber driver. Should I pay zakat on my car?

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register