Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Age 40 In The Quran

Tagged: 

• Age 40 In The Quran

Posted by Obaid Mir on April 2, 2024 at 2:25 am

Will those who die before age 40 have easy reckoning and granted paradise without much questioning? It is mentioned in the Quran. I committed some serious sins when I was around 23. I hope I have been forgiven. Please comment.

Umer replied 1 month ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Age 40 In The Quran

Umer updated 1 month ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • Ahsan

Moderator April 2, 2024 at 2:52 am

Nope there is no mention of such thing. Sincere apology and rectification is the only hope

• Obaid Mir

Member April 2, 2024 at 2:58 am

What does Quran say about reaching age 40?

• Hassan Izhar

Member April 2, 2024 at 12:30 pm

Forty years of age is strongly indicated by Quran as the age of maturity, age of conscious acceptance of Islam, and thus likely age of responsibility. Please see verse 46:15:

46:15 We instructed the human being to honor his parents. His mother bore him with hardship, gave birth to him in hardship, and his weaning lasts thirty months. Until he has attained his maturity, and reaches forty years, he says: “My Lord, direct me to appreciate the blessings You have bestowed upon me and upon my parents, and to do righteousness that pleases You. Let my progeny be righteous. I have repented to You; I am of those who have peacefully surrendered.”

Hence, in God’s scheme for humans, 40 is the age of intellectual, emotional, and spiritual maturity and the age of decision. You are fully grown-up, responsible, and capable of taking an informed decision whether you want to live your life as a Muslim, who surrenders unconditionally to God and His commandments, or lead a life driven by ego and desire. Thus, a renewed repentance and the pledge with God to live a life of submission to His Will provides redemption and an opportunity to start life afresh.

By the age of 40, you have seen enough vicissitudes in life, you have seen children grow up, grown-ups become old, and the old passing away. You have seen changes in fortunes of people, the impermanent and inherent short-lived nature of life, and thus, many of your misplaced priorities should be recalibrated at 40 (or soon after).

This verse strongly indicates that through this renewal of pledge with God accompanied by repentance at the age of 40, God will accept your repentance. You would have the opportunity to start with a clean slate provided you have consciously accepted submission to God, in accordance with the spirit of this verse. In the next verse, God gives us this reassurance:

46:16 It is from these that We accept the best of their deeds, and We shall overlook their sins, among the dwellers of Paradise. This is the promise of truth that they had been promised.

• Umer

Moderator April 2, 2024 at 2:07 pm

Quran Says:

وَوَصَّيْنَا الْإِنْسَانَ بِوَالِدَيْهِ إِحْسَانًا حَمَلَتْهُ أُمُّهُ كُرْهًا وَّوَضَعَتْهُ كُرْهًا وَحَمْلُهُ وَفِصَالُهُ ثَلَاثُوْنَ شَهْرًا حَتَّى إِذَا بَلَغَ أَشُدَّهُ وَبَلَغَ أَرْبَعِيْنَ سَنَةً قَالَ رَبِّ أَوْزِعْنِیْ أَنْ أَشْكُرَ نِعْمَتَكَ الَّتِیْ أَنْعَمْتَ عَلَيَّ وَعَلَى وَالِدَيَّ وَأَنْ أَعْمَلَ صَالِحًا تَرْضَاهُ وَأَصْلِحْ لِیْ فِیْ ذُرِّيَّتِیْ إِنِّیْ تُبْتُ إِلَيْكَ وَإِنِّیْ مِنَ الْمُسْلِمِيْنَ. أُوْلَئِكَ الَّذِيْنَ نَتَقَبَّلُ عَنْهُمْ أَحْسَنَ مَا عَمِلُوْا وَنَتَجَاوَزُ عَنْ سَيِّئَاتِهِمْ فِیْ أَصْحَابِ الْجَنَّةِ وَعْدَ الصِّدْقِ الَّذِیْ كَانُوْا يُوعَدُوْنَ.

“[If you want to understand how people become thorough and become unjust to their souls, then listen:] We have enjoined a human being to show kindness to his parents. With great difficulty, his mother carried him in her womb, and with great difficulty delivered him and his carrying and weaning took place in [almost] thirty months. Finally [after passing through all these stages] when a human being fully matures and becomes forty years old [17] he prays: “God give me the urge to express gratitude for your favour which you did to me and to my parents and do those righteous deeds which please you. And also create kindness for me in my children. I turn to you and indeed I am from among the obedient.” It is these people whose good deeds We shall accept from them and whose vices We shall overlook so that they be among the dwellers of Paradise. This is a true promise which has continued to be made with them”. (Quran 46:15-16)

(Excerpt from Quranic Exegesis: Javed Ahmed Ghamidi)

(Translated by Dr. Shehzad Saleem)

[17]. This is the maximum age attaining which a person must get control of his whims and desires and should reach the mental maturity which is required by his creator. It is evident from this that if a person passes away before this age, he can expect some concession from his creator.

• Umer

Moderator April 2, 2024 at 2:09 pm

Molana Ameen Ahsan Islahi has explained further:

فرمایا کہ اس طرح کا سلیم الفطرت انسان جب اپنی پختگی، خاص کر چالیس سال کی عمر کو، پہنچتا ہے تو وہ اپنے رب سے یہ دعا کرتا ہے کہ اے رب، تو مجھے سنبھال کہ میں تیری ان عنایات کے شکر کی توفیق پاؤں جو تو نے مجھ پر اور میرے ماں باپ پر فرمائیں اور ایسے نیک عمل کروں جو تجھے پسند ہیں اور میری اولاد میں بھی میرے صالح وارث اٹھا، میں نے تیری طرف رجوع کیا اور میں تیرے فرماں برداروں میں سے بننے کا عہد کرتا ہوں۔ اس شعور کے بیدار ہونے کا اصلی وقت تو جوانی یا سن رشد ہے جس کو یہاں ’بَلَغَ اَشُدَّہٗ‘ کے الفاظ سے تعبیر فرمایا ہے لیکن ’رشد‘ کے پیدا ہونے میں اصلی عامل کی حیثیت صرف عمر ہی کو حاصل نہیں ہے بلکہ اس میں ماحول، تربیت اور دوسرے عوامل کو بھی بڑا دخل ہے اس وجہ سے ہر شخص کے لیے کوئی ایک عمر ’رشد‘ کی معین نہیں کی جا سکتی۔ چنانچہ ہمارے علماء کے درمیان اس باب میں اختلاف ہوا ہے اور اس اختلاف کے لیے معقول وجوہ موجود ہیں۔ میرے نزدیک اللہ تعالیٰ نے ہماری طبیعت کی کمزوریوں کا لحاظ کر کے اس میں وسعت رکھی ہے اور چالیس سال کی عمر (وَبَلَغَ اَرْبَعِیْنَ سَنَۃً) کا ذکر یہاں اس کی آخری حد کی حیثیت سے فرمایا ہے۔ مطلب یہ ہے کہ جوانی کو پہنچ جانے کے بعد یہ شعور ہر سلیم الفطرت انسان کے اندر بیدار ہونا چاہیے۔ کسی کے اندر اگر بعض موانع کے سبب سے بیدار نہ ہو یا پوری طرح بیدار نہ ہو تو چالیس سال کی عمر کو پہنچ کر تو اس کو لازماً بیدار ہو جانا چاہیے۔ اس عمر کو پہنچ کر بھی اگر کسی کے اندر یہ بیدار نہ ہو تو یہ علامت ہے اس بات کی کہ اس شخص نے اپنی فطرت بگاڑ لی ہے۔ اس سے یہ اشارہ نکلتا ہے کہ رب رحیم و کریم نے ہماری طبیعت کی کمزوریوں کا لحاظ کر کے چالیس سال کی عمر تک فی الجملہ رعایت رکھی ہے۔ اس کی وجہ ظاہر ہے کہ یہی ہے کہ اس عمر تک جذبات و خواہشات کا نفس پر غلبہ ہوتا ہے۔ آدمی اگر اپنی اصلاح کی کوشش کرتا بھی ہے تو بسا اوقات خواہشوں اور جذبات سے مغلوب ہو کر راہ سے بے راہ ہو جاتا ہے۔ چالیس سال کے بعد جذبات و خواہشات کا زور ٹوٹ جاتا ہے۔ اگر آدمی ان کو غلط طریقہ پر مہمیز کرنے کی کوشش نہ کرے تو وہ اپنے رہوار نفس کو قابو میں کر سکتا ہے۔ اس وجہ سے اس کے بعد اسے کسی مزید الاؤنس کی توقع نہیں کرنی چاہیے۔ یہ امر یہاں ملحوظ رہے کہ یہاں جو بات فرمائی گئی ہے عام انسانی فطرت اور عام انسانی ماحول کو پیش نظر رکھ کر فرمائی گئی ہے، ایک خالص اسلامی معاشرہ اور اسلامی ماحول کو پیش نظر رکھ کر نہیں فرمائی گئی ہے۔ ایک بگڑے ہوئے معاشرہ کے اندر مزاحمتیں زیادہ ہوتی ہیں اس وجہ سے اللہ تعالیٰ ان لوگوں کے ساتھ خاص رعایت فرماتا ہے جو اس طرح کے معاشرے کے اندر اپنی اصلاح کی کوشش کرتے ہیں۔ ایک اسلامی معاشرہ میں یہ مزاحمتیں نہیں ہوتیں اس وجہ سے اس میں لوگوں کی مسؤلیت بھی زیادہ ہے۔

• Umer

Moderator April 2, 2024 at 2:13 pm

For comments of Ghamidi Sahab, please refer to the video below from 1:33:42 to 1:35:34

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register