Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums General Discussions Usury Vs Interest (Arabic, Urdu)

• Usury Vs Interest (Arabic, Urdu)

Posted by Hasan on April 19, 2024 at 1:19 pm

I’ve watched Ghamidi sb video where he said Riba used in Arabic is same as Sood, which may be true linguistically (because I didn’t find a word in Urdu for ‘usury’) but I‘m confused (and need confirmation) if Riba in Arabic is more correctly translated/meant/interpreted as Usury (instead of the typical interest) because Verse 3:130 mentions right after Riba: “doubled and multiplied”, which tends to imply that Riba is an extreme exploitation of lent money (usury) – Please confirm/clarify.

Also, is there a word for usury in Urdu? I’m sorry I genuinely couldn’t find one.

JazakAllah khair.

Dr. Irfan Shahzad replied 1 week, 1 day ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Usury Vs Interest (Arabic, Urdu)

• Hasan

Member April 21, 2024 at 11:48 am

Anyone please?

Summarizing my questions:

1. Arabic Riba seem to refer to usury (as per 3:130) as opposed to ‘interest’, please confirm.

2. And is there any unique word for ‘usury’ in Urdu because apparently “sood” refers to both interest and usury, so when scholars say “sood” (generally interpreted as interest) is “haram”, is it not misleading?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar April 23, 2024 at 9:02 pm

Doubled and multiplied is not essential part of it make it riba. Riba is Riba and its worst from the multiplied riba which is condemned.

If we say that the killing during genocide is a heinous crime, it doesn’t not mean that simple killing is allowed.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register