Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums General Discussions Namaz Before Islam

• Namaz Before Islam

Posted by Hadi Alwi on May 4, 2024 at 1:44 pm

Ghamidi Saheb often asserts that people prayed [Namaz] even before the advent of Islam, but many, including myself, find this assertion dubious. If prayer was already established, why would Muhammad SAWW) have been sent to guide people on its proper practice?

In Quran, Allah says:

“If you are in danger, pray on foot or while riding. But when you are safe, ˹take time to˺ remember Allah for teaching you what you did not know” [2:239]

Let’s pay close attention to the phrase “remember Allah for teaching you what you did not know,” which implies that people were generally unaware of how to pray before Islam.

Right now, I’m reading Meezan where Ghamidi Sahab talks about the “Islam ki Tarikh”. On page 280, he mentions Surah Maun (verses 4-5) to argue that prayer existed before Islam, giving his own translation of verses:

“سو بربادی ہے (حرم کے پروہت) ان نمازیوں کے لیے جو اپنی نمازوں کی حقیقت سے غافل ہیں”

This verse suggests that people prayed but didn’t ONLY fully understand its meaning, especially if we use the word “haqiqat” in the translation.

I checked several other translations and couldn’t find the word “haqiqat” in any of them. I suspect that Ghamidi Sahab might have added it to support his argument.

Dr. Irfan Shahzad replied 1 week, 5 days ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Namaz Before Islam

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar May 5, 2024 at 8:35 pm

Not only prayer but all rituals are mentioned by Qur’an that they were being practiced by the polytheists and the Jews but with innovations and distortions which the prophet corrected and then added something to them to finalize under the guidance of God.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register