Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums General Discussions Returning Salam With Intention To Please Someone

• Returning Salam With Intention To Please Someone

Posted by Mohammad Ali Soomro on May 5, 2024 at 9:46 am

Hello there Assallam u alaikum,

my question is that since salam is a Dua (and Dua is worship ritual). A Muslim says and replies a Salam because it is Sunnah and he wants to fulfill the Sunnah required from him. if he doesn’t he may be sinful (minor sin) for not saying or replying Salam.

but many times people reply or do a Salam because the other person would feel bad if not replied for Salam. the same goes for saying someone “Mubarak”(which is like a Dua for blessing,) for any achievement like nikah,or good result. the same goes for saying someone “Allah aapko Khush or salamat rakhe, Meri dua hai” we say this so to make the other person feel happy and pleased.

but we know that İbadah rituals are for Allah’s pleasure only, none other’s pleasure can be sought with it except Allah. then why in these sort of İbadah of Dua which is said to someone, why is it that we feel it’s okay to say these in pleasing the other man?

Dr. Irfan Shahzad replied 1 week, 4 days ago 2 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • Returning Salam With Intention To Please Someone

Dr. Irfan Shahzad updated 1 week, 4 days ago 2 Members · 10 Replies
  • Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar May 5, 2024 at 8:19 pm

It has been discussed before. The actions which has two dimensions, one towards God and other to humans can be done for both. Therefore to please someone too is a good deed worthy of reward.

• Mohammad Ali Soomro

Member May 6, 2024 at 2:02 am

@Irfan76 sir how does it have 2 dimension? it’s like a worship ritual like we make Dua. and isn’t Dua only a worship ritual with one dimension of Allah?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar May 8, 2024 at 4:12 am

it is a manner to greet someone. it shows one is welcomed. One hears that one prays for him. it makes others happy.

• Mohammad Ali Soomro

Member May 8, 2024 at 11:28 am

@Irfan76 so I guess it’s not an actual Dua, but it is actually saying like “I desire peace for you”?

I understand sir that it’s a Sunnah to say this when meeting someone, but if an actual Dua just i don’t understand one thing regarding what should be the intention for it. because Dua is a worship ritual like namaz. if someone were to do the worship ritual of namaz to make someone else happy then we say it’s shirkiya behavior. but then shouldn’t it be the same for Dua as well? as dua is worship ritual that we do towards Allah, and doing it to make someone else happy, should logically, be shirkiya too.

Then why is it okay to say Salam with intention to please someone? if the intention is to fulfill the Sunnah and please Allah then it’s understandable, but if the intention is to make someone else happy then how is it okay? can you clear my confusion sir?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar May 8, 2024 at 11:38 pm

Do not follow the words only to find the similarities. See the act itself to decide. To please someone is an act that is worthy of reward. This falls in that category too.

• Mohammad Ali Soomro

Member May 9, 2024 at 2:49 am

@Irfan76 I understand sir, just i was confused that even though it’s reward worthy to earn someone’s pleasure, praying namaz cannot be done for pleasing someone.

so I was just going through some confusion regarding salam, that if it’s a Dua then it is same as namaz.

sir can you explain me what is Salam, in it’s real essence? and meaning?

namaz in it’s essence is İbadah

similarly people say helping someone is actually love, here helping someone is not it’s essence love, love is a feeling which then manifests in doing some action in order to bring benefit to other, that action is what we call help.

so similarly can you tell me what is Salam, in it’s essence? is it a worship ritual like Dua in it’s essence? or it’s said just said that it’s Dua figuratively?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar May 10, 2024 at 7:04 am

It is a prayer asking peace for someone. Such Dua is made for the love and well wishing of a person he asks for peace. He can make this dua to please him and it is commendable.

• Mohammad Ali Soomro

Member May 11, 2024 at 12:37 pm

@Irfan76 so sir such types of Dua are not like other rituals of worship, in which there can be no intention of pleasing someone other than Allah. like namaz and roza, they cannot be done for other than Allah. these Duas are not like these?

• Mohammad Ali Soomro

Member May 11, 2024 at 12:45 pm

@Irfan76

like in other Duas, a man’s intention should be only by pleasure of Allah like for example if he wants a car… he makes Dua to Allah, with intention to please Allah by making a request to Allah with a worship action (Dua), so that Allah gets pleased with his this action (of making Dua ) and grants him what he’s asking in the Dua, which is car. and this should only be like this i.e Dua should only be made with intention to please Allah (and expecting a reward in the form of what a person wants and asks in Dua)

but in such Dua like Salam and Dua like “May Allah bless you goodness in job”, having sole intention of Allah’s pleasure is not a condition? unlike other worship rituals?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar May 14, 2024 at 12:14 am

Right.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register