Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islam and Family Divorce Demand – Disrespect – No Sex – Iddat

• Divorce Demand – Disrespect – No Sex – Iddat

Posted by Usman Zahid on May 12, 2024 at 4:57 pm

I seek guidance on a marital issue. Despite my efforts, our 2.5-year marriage has been marked by verbal and physical abuse from my wife. Extremely disrespectful despite me constantly trying to make it work. She has frequently demanded divorce and recently left our home with no intention of returning. Although she apologized when she realized that now I have gotten serious about divorce (which she had been demanding), I declined her return or apology due to her previous willingness to abandon our relationship and consistent disrespect, toxicity and stress.
    She has left our home twice before, and I forgave her and took her back previously. However, this time, I have decided to proceed with divorce. According to Quranic guidelines, she needs to spend 3 Months in my house for the iddat period. I have few questions:
    1. During this iddat period, does reconciliation imply physical intimacy or simply coexisting in the same household? If we have sex, would it nullify the divorce process?
    2. We have not had sex in 6 months. Is it still necessary for her to spend three months in my house for iddat? Or can the divorce be finalized immediately? What is the purpose of iddat – is it solely to determine pregnancy, or are there other considerations? Given our circumstances of 0 sex in 6 months, is iddat still valid?

3. Can she spend iddat in her parents house?

Dr. Irfan Shahzad replied 2 months, 2 weeks ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Divorce Demand – Disrespect – No Sex – Iddat

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar May 13, 2024 at 9:43 am

It is advised to women to spend her iddat in her husband house.

The purpose of iddat is to check the pregnancy. The secondary purpose is to let the couple have that chance of reconciliation. If it is confirmed through medical check up that she doesn’t not have pregnancy, she can choose not to wait for prescribed period. However if she choose to have the iddat period You have chance for reconciliation without a new nikah.

If during the iddat period you establish intimate relation it will amount to reconciliation. Now if you decide to divorce her again, it will now be another divorce.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register