Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Working In An LGBTQ Company As A Software Engineer

• Working In An LGBTQ Company As A Software Engineer

Posted by Sarim Khan on July 3, 2024 at 10:40 am

Assalamualaikum.

I need to know the Islamic ruling about working in a company which makes dating app for the LGBTQ community.

The scenario is, I am a software engineer/ website developer and I am getting a job offer from an LGBTQ based company. My role here is to create a “dating website” which will be used by “Gay people” to connect with each other and date each other.

Is it allowed for me to do job here?

If it is allowed, then please also explain why, in context of that I am indirectly supporting the community with my work.

Kindly answer as soon as possible because I have less time remaining.

Thanks

Saad replied 2 months, 3 weeks ago 3 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Working In An LGBTQ Company As A Software Engineer

Saad updated 2 months, 3 weeks ago 3 Members · 8 Replies
  • Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar July 3, 2024 at 6:46 pm

If you are directly hired by the company to make a software like the above then it is not allowed, however, if you develop a website for people to interact, and the said company purchased it then it is not your responsibility who use it for what purpose.

• Sarim Khan

Member July 3, 2024 at 7:12 pm

@irfan76
    Thanks for the quick reply Dr Irfan.
    I have seen some videos of Ghamidi Sahab where he says that it is allowed to work in an alcohol shop, isn’t my scenario related?
    The person in the alcohol shop is actually helping others to do a haram thing, the same my job is demanding.

What is the difference and why one is halal and the other is not?

I am asking many questions to satisfy my thoughts.

Thanks again for the quick reply.

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar July 4, 2024 at 12:40 am

Ghamidi saheb refers to a departmental shop where along with other items liquor is sold or served too. It is allowed to work there, though not ideal. Your case is different. It exclusively serves a prohibited act.

• Saad

Contributor July 4, 2024 at 3:55 am

Problem is that alcohol has many purposes besides being consumed. And even then, Ghamidi Sahab commented that one should avoid that scenario if possible.

LGBT or not, an app that promotes zina is not acceptable for a Muslim to be directly involved in. Especially when you have other options (which Software Engineers do in this job market). If you were making say, website templates and a dating company purchased them, that would be different but here, you are directly involved in the production of a tool for zina.

And the argument that I am contributing to community is not good enough since you can contribute to community through other options as well and a person who running a haram business may also be giving charity and taxes time to time, contributing to community but that doesn’t make it acceptable to God because you are meant to safeguard your moral being, not your community contributions in this life, that’s the main test. And zina is not only an attack on community but it is an attack on the family institution, that cares for children, on God’s way to create human life, indirect contributions to community won’t balance that out.

• Sarim Khan

Member July 7, 2024 at 9:23 am

I am still not satisfied with the answer because I don’t find any basis (bina) of the answer. I have some counter questions as follows.

1) In the following video, he doesn’t talk about departmental store, it was a general question and he also talks about the concept of “karahat”
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtopFGmYDSY
    2) What if I don’t have any job and the only offer I have is just from this LGBTQ company? I am in Germany and I just have 4 months left to look for the job otherwise my VISA would be expired and I have to leave the country. Is it still prohibited according to your thoughts?
    3) Is there any related/direct ayat(verse) from the Quran which talks about such type of issue?
    4) Is there any way through which I can directly ask this question to Ghamidi sahab, maybe he answers me in detail with the supporting proofs even if it is not allowed?

• Sarim Khan

Member July 7, 2024 at 9:31 am

In this another video,

He talks about “rukhsat” in the western culture.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX84NFyXzfE

What can I extract from it?
    Should I stay jobless?

• Saad

Contributor July 7, 2024 at 10:25 am

You should have mentioned that first in your original question that you had no choice. (Leaving out that detail is unusual)

The video you mentioned, he talking about working at a place. Because a store offers both halal and haram, that is why you have to endure selling haram items because ultimately working at a store is a neutral, it sells both halal and haram. But e.g I’m afraid working at, aiding and funding prostitution institutions will be haram for a Muslim because it is no longer a neutral position, it is doing something exclusively haram.
      Discussion 52175
      Discussion 78197

Similarly, dating industry is wrong for a Muslim especially since you are directly involved, it is no longer a neutral point.

Indeed, those who like that immorality should be spread [or publicized] among those who have believed will have a painful punishment in this world and the Hereafter. And Allah knows and you do not know. (Qur’an 24:19)

The point you must understand is that there is a huge difference between consumption of wine/pork and promoting zina. Zina for which warning of eternal Hell is for a Muslim (Qur’an 25:68-69), is a serious crime, it is an attack on the family system that is essential for human being survival, it is the way through which Allah creates human beings. Supporting that is not the same as simply selling haram edibles. Because that’s relatively not big and can be forgiven by Allah alone, but an attack on the right of current and future children who depends on families to raise them? They may not forgive you.

As for those who are forced to do what is haram by necessity, when it is question of survival. It is tolerated as long as it is needed.

He has only forbidden you to eat carrion, blood, swine, and what is slaughtered in the name of any other than Allah. But if someone is compelled by necessity—neither driven by desire nor exceeding immediate needthen surely Allah is All-Forgiving, Most Merciful. (Qur’an 16:115)

So if it is a case of survival, one may commit what is haram, the two conditions in verse 16:115 above is that one should not enjoy nor benefit from it, only do as much as it is needed to survive. If you truly believe you are forced in this situation, then you may make your choice.

As for asking Ghamidi Sahab directly. You may register in Ask Ghamidi Live Session for 28th July. Details are given below:

Discussion 98569
      30 seconds to ask a question every month if the turn for the registered member comes.

• Saad

Contributor July 7, 2024 at 10:35 am

Here, he clarify that he was talking about being ‘forced to sell in a store’ at 1 min mark.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWiR5lWDE3M

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register