Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Circumcision

• Saira Qureshi

Member July 25, 2020 at 1:52 am

I also have doubts about it. When Allah has made ‘insaan’ ….why should man make any changes ? In the same way in some parts of world especially in Africa there is tradition of ‘ female circumcision’ …..

Do u think male circumcision is also a tradition ??

• Saira Qureshi

Member July 25, 2020 at 11:04 am

So male circumcision is sunnah from Hazrat Ibrahim?

• $ohail T@hir

Moderator July 25, 2020 at 1:34 pm

That is correct

• ودود

Member September 3, 2020 at 8:29 pm

Not all sunnah of prophet ibrahim were ordained as part of deen by prophet SW. is there any evidence where prophet muhammad SW announced this in public to follow this practice as part of deen?

• Umer

Moderator July 27, 2020 at 7:51 am

When something from nature/fitrat/daily life is taken and raised to the level of religion by the Prophet, then its status as religion takes precedence over the rationale behind that status. Of course, rationale does help us in understanding the overall framework of the religion but will always be subservient to its religious status. For example, if I look at the rationale of eating with right hand (which is a religious act), I know that it’s purpose is to keep myself reminding of the day of judgement with every meal that I take. Now that I can use so many other means to keep myself reminding of that (e.g. I can set a reminder on my phone for that or I think 5 times prayer is enough to remind me of that), we both know this will not allowed as a substitute for eating with right hand. Similarly, in my opinion, though rationale behind circumcision is purity/tazkiya, but at the same time, this act itself was made a part of religion, so it can’t substituted with other cleanliness measures.

• ودود

Member September 3, 2020 at 8:25 pm

How does the practice of circumcision meet the criteria to qualify as a sunnah?

What about other such practices like cupping or hijama that is done to purify blood? Are they also sunnah?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator September 3, 2020 at 8:39 pm

Wadud sahab I know that you must have already listened to this, but for the benefit of others I’m sharing it here as well.

https://youtu.be/xix2fHwNI6s

• ودود

Member September 3, 2020 at 8:44 pm

Ok 👍🏻I have some follow up questions tho. Hope someone will reply

I will post my 7 points here (with minor changes) here for the benefits of others

• ودود

Member September 3, 2020 at 8:48 pm

Is male circumcision a sunnah or a cultural ritual?

1. It’s against the spirit of verse 4:119 of Quran

2. Jesus pbuh forbids circumcision in Bible

According to the Gospel of Thomas saying 53, Jesus says:

“His disciples said to him, “is circumcision useful or not?” He said to them, “If it were useful, their father would produce children already circumcised from their mother. Rather, the true circumcision in spirit has become profitable in every respect.”” SV [38]

Parallels to Thomas 53 are found in Paul’s Romans 2:29, Philippians 3:3, 1 Corinthians 7:19, Galatians 6:15, Colossians 2:11–12.

3. There is no clear hadith where

Muhammad sw has asked muslims to practice it as Deen.

4. As per the history of male circuscision in wikipedia, the practice of male circumcision is cultural and not so religious.

5. ‘the tawatur’ practice lacks the Niyyat – ie an intention with free consent to do something good to please God. That’s essential for any ritual to qualify as ‘sunnah’ or part of religion. ie infants circumstanced are too young to give their consent to this practice of modifying human natural form.

It does not meet the criteria given in Mazzan for any practice to qualify as ‘Sunnah’ particularly the 5th and 7th principle.

6. health and hygiene benefits is a myth. If at all it might be an idea for those who have no access to water to clean after themselves for a long period of time likes months and years.

On the other hand risks of infection and excessive bleeding due to genetic disorders in some people may cause medical emergencies and death.

7. Bible mentions circumcision as part of ‘conventions of Abraham’ but the prophet Abraham pbuh was also asked to sacrifice his son but that doesn’t make it an obligation for his followers and therefore this cannot be presented to support this practice as sunnah – particularly when Jesus pbuh already gave his verdict on this as given above.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator September 4, 2020 at 1:52 pm

Please see this related discussion:

Discussion 26636

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register