Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Blasphemy

Tagged: 

• Blasphemy

Posted by Asif Khan on July 30, 2020 at 6:23 am

Many people qoute various arguments about the killing of people regarding derogatory remarks of Prophet SAW especially despite pardon at the time of fall of makkah Prophet SAW did not forgive these people

Faisal Haroon replied 3 years, 6 months ago 5 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • Blasphemy

Faisal Haroon updated 3 years, 6 months ago 5 Members · 14 Replies
  • Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 30, 2020 at 12:53 pm

Please read up on concept of itmam e hujjat- i think you’ll be able to find threads in it here

• Mohammad Saad

Member July 31, 2020 at 1:16 am

@AhmadShoaib sir this one seems to be pretty clear and we can’t relate it to the concept of Itmam e Hujjat:

Narrated Abdullah Ibn Abbas:

A blind man had a slave-mother who used to abuse the Prophet (ﷺ) and disparage him. He forbade her but she did not stop. He rebuked her but she did not give up her habit. One night she began to slander the Prophet (ﷺ) and abuse him. So he took a dagger, placed it on her belly, pressed it, and killed her. A child who came between her legs was smeared with the blood that was there. When the morning came, the Prophet (ﷺ) was informed about it.

He assembled the people and said: I adjure by Allah the man who has done this action and I adjure him by my right to him that he should stand up. Jumping over the necks of the people and trembling the man stood up.

He sat before the Prophet (ﷺ) and said: Messenger of Allah! I am her master; she used to abuse you and disparage you. I forbade her, but she did not stop, and I rebuked her, but she did not abandon her habit. I have two sons like pearls from her, and she was my companion. Last night she began to abuse and disparage you. So I took a dagger, put it on her belly and pressed it till I killed her.

Thereupon the Prophet (ﷺ) said: Oh be witness, no retaliation is payable for her blood.

حَدَّثَنَا عَبَّادُ بْنُ مُوسَى الْخُتَّلِيُّ، أَخْبَرَنَا إِسْمَاعِيلُ بْنُ جَعْفَرٍ الْمَدَنِيُّ، عَنْ إِسْرَائِيلَ، عَنْ عُثْمَانَ الشَّحَّامِ، عَنْ عِكْرِمَةَ، قَالَ حَدَّثَنَا ابْنُ عَبَّاسٍ، أَنَّ أَعْمَى، كَانَتْ لَهُ أُمُّ وَلَدٍ تَشْتُمُ النَّبِيَّ صلى الله عليه وسلم وَتَقَعُ فِيهِ فَيَنْهَاهَا فَلاَ تَنْتَهِي وَيَزْجُرُهَا فَلاَ تَنْزَجِرُ – قَالَ – فَلَمَّا كَانَتْ ذَاتَ لَيْلَةٍ جَعَلَتْ تَقَعُ فِي النَّبِيِّ صلى الله عليه وسلم وَتَشْتِمُهُ فَأَخَذَ الْمِغْوَلَ فَوَضَعَهُ فِي بَطْنِهَا وَاتَّكَأَ عَلَيْهَا فَقَتَلَهَا فَوَقَعَ بَيْنَ رِجْلَيْهَا طِفْلٌ فَلَطَخَتْ مَا هُنَاكَ بِالدَّمِ فَلَمَّا أَصْبَحَ ذُكِرَ ذَلِكَ لِرَسُولِ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم فَجَمَعَ النَّاسَ فَقَالَ ‏”‏ أَنْشُدُ اللَّهَ رَجُلاً فَعَلَ مَا فَعَلَ لِي عَلَيْهِ حَقٌّ إِلاَّ قَامَ ‏”‏ ‏.‏ فَقَامَ الأَعْمَى يَتَخَطَّى النَّاسَ وَهُوَ يَتَزَلْزَلُ حَتَّى قَعَدَ بَيْنَ يَدَىِ النَّبِيِّ صلى الله عليه وسلم فَقَالَ يَا رَسُولَ اللَّهِ أَنَا صَاحِبُهَا كَانَتْ تَشْتِمُكَ وَتَقَعُ فِيكَ فَأَنْهَاهَا فَلاَ تَنْتَهِي وَأَزْجُرُهَا فَلاَ تَنْزَجِرُ وَلِي مِنْهَا ابْنَانِ مِثْلُ اللُّؤْلُؤَتَيْنِ وَكَانَتْ بِي رَفِيقَةً فَلَمَّا كَانَتِ الْبَارِحَةَ جَعَلَتْ تَشْتِمُكَ وَتَقَعُ فِيكَ فَأَخَذْتُ الْمِغْوَلَ فَوَضَعْتُهُ فِي بَطْنِهَا وَاتَّكَأْتُ عَلَيْهَا حَتَّى قَتَلْتُهَا ‏.‏ فَقَالَ النَّبِيُّ صلى الله عليه وسلم ‏”‏ أَلاَ اشْهَدُوا أَنَّ دَمَهَا هَدَرٌ ‏”‏ ‏.‏

Grade : Sahih (Al-Albani) صحيح (الألباني) حكم

Reference : Sunan Abi Dawud 4361

In-book reference : Book 40, Hadith 11

English translation : Book 39, Hadith 4348

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 31, 2020 at 1:18 am

No.1 why not

No.2 this hadith to my knowledge is not actually sahih

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 31, 2020 at 1:19 am

Grade: Sahih (Al-Albani)

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 31, 2020 at 1:20 am

Yes but I have heard that after further inspection there are apparently some flaws- I will try and find it إن شاء الله

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 31, 2020 at 1:24 am

Forget the no.1

• Mohammad Saad

Member July 31, 2020 at 1:25 am

1. According to my understanding of Itmam e Hujjat, it’s when the complete message had been conveyed, then Prophet ordered the execution of everyone who negates his message. This particular case does not seem to fit in that definition. Noone asked her that either she had to embrace Islam or otherwise she would be killed.

2. Molana Albani holds a prestigious position in this field . We must have good reasons if we’re saying this Hadees is not authentic.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 31, 2020 at 1:25 am

Yes – please forget I said the itmam e hujjat thing. You can read the criticism below

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 31, 2020 at 1:24 am

As for the chain of authorities, every version of the story originates with Uthman ibn Muslim al-Shuhham narrating from ‘Ikramah, may Allah have mercy on them. There are no other credible chains to support this story.

Uthman al-Shuhham was considered reliable by some scholars, but plenty of others criticized and rejected his narrations. He narrated very few hadith as compared to other narrators, whom he usually narrated from Muslim ibn Abi Bakrah, and even fewer hadith from ‘Ikramah. He is in no way an agreed upon narrator.

Al-Dhahabi writes:

قال يحيى القطان يعرف من حديثه وينكر وقال النسائي ليس بالقوى

Yahya al-Qattan said: His narrations are sometimes acknowledged or rejected. Al-Nasa’i said: He is not strong.

Source: Mīzān al-I’tidāl 3/60

And Al-Mughaltay writes:

وقال أبو أحمد الحاكم عثمان بن مسلم أبو سلمة الشحام ليس بالمتين عندهم

Abu Ahmad al-Hakim said Uthman ibn Muslim, Abu Salamah, is not solid in their view.

Source: Ikmāl Tahdhīb al-Kamāl 9/194

And Ibn Hajar writes:

وكذا أبو أحمد وقال ليس بالمتين عندهم وقال الدارقطني بصري يعتبر به

Likewise was said by Abu Ahmad that he is not solid in their view. Al-Daraqutni said he is a Basran in need of further consideration.

Source: Tahdhīb al-Tahdhīb 7/161

And Al-Arna’ut writes:

وفي عثمان كلام ينزله عن رتبة الصحيح

There is a discussion on Uthman about lowering him from the level of soundness.

Source: Takhrīj al-Musnad 34/131

Ibn ‘Adi also mentioned him in his book of weak narrators, although he did not consider him weak per se, writing:

عُثْمَانُ الشَّحَّامُ لَيْسَ لَهُ كَثِيرُ حَدِيثٍ وَمَا رَأَى بِهِ بَأْسًا فِي رِوَايَاتِهِ

Uthman al-Shuhham does not have many traditions, but there is no objection seen in his narrations.

Source: al-Kāmil fī Ḍuʻafā’ al-Rijāl 6/293

However, just because Ibn ‘Adi saw nothing wrong in his narrations does not mean he considered him above scrutiny.

Imam Muslim included only one narration of Uthman al-Shuhham from Muslim ibn Abi Bakrah in his Sahih collection. This indicates that Imam Muslim considered his chain from Ibn Abi Bakrah to be authentic, but he did not narrate his chain from ‘Ikramah. Thus, the presence of Uthman al-Shuhham in the Sahih does not mean every narration from him was considered authentic by Imam Muslim.

Hence, the problematic hadith of the blind man is based on the authority of a questionable narrator, who narrated an unusually small number of hadith, who was criticized and rejected by some scholars, and whose narrations are otherwise not widely-regarded as legal evidence. On this basis alone, Muslims are not required at all to accept the authenticity of the story or the legal ruling it supports.

If, for the sake of argument, Uthman al-Shuhham’s chain from ‘Ikramah is sound and the story is true, there are certainly missing details from the text that are needed to properly contextualize it. An anomalous (shadh) narration cannot overrule many more verses of the Quran and authentic hadith.

It is a well-established rule in Islam that legal punishments such as executions, flogging, or imprisonment can only be carried out by executive authorities.

Ibn Muflih writes:

تَحْرُمُ إقَامَةُ حَدٍّ إلَّا لِإِمَامٍ أَوْ نَائِبِهِ

It is forbidden to establish a legal punishment unless it is done by the leader or his deputy.

Source: al-Furū’ wa Taṣḥīḥ al-Furū’ 10/29

And according to the Kuwaiti Encyclopedia of Fiqh:

اتَّفَقَ الْفُقَهَاءُ عَلَى أَنَّهُ لاَ يُقِيمُ الْحَدَّ إلا الإمام أَوْ نَائِبُهُ وَذَلِكَ لِمَصْلَحَةِ الْعِبَادِ وَهِيَ صِيَانَةُ أَنْفُسِهِمْ وَأَمْوَالِهِمْ وَأَعْرَاضِهِمْ

The jurists came to a consensus that a legal punishment may not be implemented unless by the leader or his deputy. That is in the best interest of people, which is to safeguard their lives, their property, and their reputations.

Source: al-Mawsū’at al-Fiqhīyah al-Kuwaytīyah 17/144

This principle, known in the West as due process, is essential to civil society. Citing the hadith of the blind man to circumvent it is a very dangerous proposition.

If the incident did in fact occur, then the slander (waqi’) and disparagement (shatm) committed by the woman must have been done in manner that was aiding or inciting enemy forces, as the Muslims in Medina at the time were fighting a defensive war against the idolaters of Mecca.

Ibn Taymiyyah considered the possibility of this interpretation, writing:

الوجه الثالث أن هذا وإن كان حدا فهو قتل حربي أيضا فصار بمنزلة قتل حربي تحتم قتله وهذا يجوز قتله لكل أحد

A third view is that, if this was a legal punishment, then it was also the killing of a combatant. Thus, she had the status of an enemy combatant who must be killed. This type of killing is permissible for anyone.

Source: al-Ṣārim al-Maslūl 1/286

The Prophet (ṣ) did not kill people just for insulting him. Many people insulted him, cursed him, and harmed him, yet he was forgiving, patient, and forbearing. The legal maxim of no-harm requires that one can only harm others if it is necessary to avoid a greater harm.

The Prophet (ṣ) also would not have allowed a man to designate himself as judge, jury, and executioner. If the Prophet (ṣ) did in fact pardon the man for killing his concubine, it could only have been in such a case that she was aiding or inciting the enemy. No one needs permission from authorities to fight or kill someone who is waging war against them.

• Mohammad Saad

Member July 31, 2020 at 1:35 am

Yes that’s what I was seeking for. JazakAllah.

May I ask, what source should I consult in such cases? I mean from where did you come to know about this?

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 31, 2020 at 1:37 am

وأنتم فجزاكم الله خيرا

Just search the general topic of the Hadith- that’s what I did https://abuaminaelias.com/blind-man-kills-concubine-blasphemy/.

Also if a hadith like this shows up don’t let it shake you- if it goes against the Quran even if it sahih by chain it will never be sahih by matn.

Many Hadith works are unfortunately in Arabic but إن شاء الله we can still find the things we need

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 31, 2020 at 1:38 am

I did have some prior knowledge by hearing JAG calling it not very sahih once or a similar Hadith to it

• Mohammad Saad

Member July 31, 2020 at 1:38 am

جزاک اللہ خیر

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator October 28, 2020 at 1:03 am

Please see:

Discussion 34524

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register