Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islam and Family Is It Haraam For A Muslim Woman To Marry A Non-Muslim Man ?

• Is It Haraam For A Muslim Woman To Marry A Non-Muslim Man ?

Posted by Sameer Bhagwat on August 22, 2020 at 6:47 am

I want to know if there is clear prohibition for a Muslim woman to marry a non-Muslim man (polytheist or otherwise) by Allah ?

I understand one should ideally marry within her own religion, but is it a sin for the current Muslim woman to marry outside her religion ? Is it explicitly made haraam in any verse or authentic hadith ?

Sameer Bhagwat replied 3 years, 8 months ago 4 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • Is It Haraam For A Muslim Woman To Marry A Non-Muslim Man ?

Sameer Bhagwat updated 3 years, 8 months ago 4 Members · 14 Replies
  • Rafia Khawaja

Member August 22, 2020 at 4:22 pm

A Muslim woman is not permitted to marry a polytheist. As far as a Muslim woman marrying a non Muslim man from Ahle Kitab my understanding is that there is no verse in the Qur’an which clearly forbids this. The Qur’an gives permission to the Muslim men to marry chaste women of Ahl-e-Kitab but is silent on the subject of Muslim women doing the same.

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 22, 2020 at 11:02 pm

What about marrying an atheist man/woman ?

• Ayema Zahoor

Member August 22, 2020 at 11:54 pm

Ghamdi sahib’s opinion

https://youtu.be/ZoQnYvp-HW8

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 23, 2020 at 7:35 am

It is Ghamidi saab’s own view on what factors should be considered for marriage partner, and how shirk is wrong. It is another matter that the marriage partner may not be doing shirk knowingly, or deliberately denying the truth.

I am asking if Allah specifically prohibited it in a verse or Prophet called it haraam to marry a polytheist/Atheist.

• Ayema Zahoor

Member August 23, 2020 at 12:01 am

An other opinion and he also giving the reference of a verse which forbids even men to marry a mushrika. And atheist is a nonbeliever so the same command is for him

https://youtu.be/VLM1qObzWPc

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 23, 2020 at 7:40 am

This scholar is saying that marrying a non-Muslim who wants to convert to Islam for the sake of marriage is wrong, because the faith has not entered his heart.. I want to ask him, doesn’t the same apply for a Muslim man ? One can never know what is inside the heart of another person.

• Ayema Zahoor

Member August 23, 2020 at 7:59 am

The Quran (2:221)[5] also states,

“And do not marry Polytheist women until they believe, And a believing slave woman is better than a Polytheist women, even though she might please you. And do not marry Polytheist men [to your women] until they believe. And a believing slave is better than a Polytheist men, even though he might please you. Those invite [you] to the Fire, but Allah invites to Paradise and to forgiveness, by His permission. And He makes clear His verses to the people that perhaps they may remember”.

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 23, 2020 at 8:09 am

This verse 2:221 talks about Mushrikeen.. is it applicable to the Pagans at the time of Prophet or all the polytheists for all time ?

When I raised a question on verse 5:51 asking muslims to not befriend Jews and Christians, I was given the answer that it was only applicable for Jews/Christians at that time of Prophet.

PS: I hope my comment is not deleted by moderators.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator August 23, 2020 at 10:01 am

The prohibition is about polytheists in general.

Verse 5:51 is specific for people of that time.

Quran is not just a collection of verses. Things must be understood in the context of the verse itself, of the passage, the surah, and the whole message of the the entire Quran. Also audience of the Quran are different at different times. Properly determining that is also important.

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 23, 2020 at 11:42 am

The prohibition is about polytheists in general.”

So, it should apply on Christians also who indulge in polytheism. However the verse 2:221 specifically talks about Mushrikeen. What is the context which makes it generic and 5:51 makes it specific ?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator August 23, 2020 at 12:22 pm

Christians have erred in their understanding of monotheism. To understand principles of understanding the Quran please refer to:

Discussion 1088

Also please watch these videos:

Discussion 2903

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 24, 2020 at 12:41 am

Christians have erred ?? So, someone who errs in monotheism and practices polytheism is fine for marriage, even though he/she clearly says that Jesus is God ?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator August 24, 2020 at 12:51 am

I never said that such a person is fine for marriage.

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 24, 2020 at 4:14 am

At least it is not prohibited / haraam to marry such a person, right ?

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register