Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Epistemology and Philosophy Was Iblees An Angel?

Tagged: , ,

• Was Iblees An Angel?

Umer updated 3 years, 5 months ago 3 Members · 11 Replies
  • Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor November 19, 2020 at 5:36 pm

Or is there some sort of clear reference to a difference between angels and jinn?

• Afia Khan

Member November 19, 2020 at 9:45 pm

18:50

• Umer

Moderator November 20, 2020 at 2:19 pm

Ghamidi Sahab has discussed the etymology of word Jinn in classic Arabic in the following video and these two words have a clear distinction in Classic Arabic:

Discussion 1123 • Reply 1126

Also, Quran makes a clear distinction as pointed out by sister above:

وَإِذْ قُلْنَا لِلْمَلَائِكَةِ اسْجُدُوا لِآدَمَ فَسَجَدُوْا إِلَّا إِبْلِيسَ كَانَ مِنَ الْجِنِّ فَفَسَقَ عَنْ أَمْرِ رَبِّهِ أَفَتَتَّخِذُوْنَهُ وَذُرِّيَّتَهُ أَوْلِيَآءَ مِنْ دُونِیْ وَهُمْ لَكُمْ عَدُوٌّ بِئْسَ لِلظَّالِمِيْنَ بَدَلًا. مَا أَشْهَدْتُهُمْ خَلْقَ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَلَا خَلْقَ أَنْفُسِهِمْ وَمَا كُنْتُ مُتَّخِذَ الْمُضِلِّيْنَ عَضُدًا.

Remember when We directed the angels: “Prostrate before Adam.” They prostrated except Iblis. He was among the jinn. So, he evaded the directive of his Lord. Now, leaving Me, are you making him and his progeny as your guardian, even though they are your open enemy? What an evil substitute these wrongdoers are adopting! [They are making them My associates whereas], I called none of these [devils] at the time of creating the heavens and the earth nor at the time of their own creation. I am not One Who makes those who lead astray as My helpers. (18:50-51)

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor November 20, 2020 at 2:23 pm

I’ll watch the videos إن شاء الله but the answer to 18:50 provided would be that jinn are a tribe/species of angels because fo the other ayah that mentions only that the angels didn’t bow

• Umer

Moderator November 20, 2020 at 2:28 pm

Were Jinns (as a terminology) considered as a tribe of Angels in Classic Arabic or a complete independent creation?

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor November 20, 2020 at 2:29 pm

Then what’s the explanation for the ayah saying all angels bowed except iblees. It sounds like a contradiction

• Umer

Moderator November 20, 2020 at 2:39 pm

This is an Arabic usloob where one representative name is mentioned to represent the whole population. At the same time, mentioning of Iblees as a Jinn makes it clear to readers that He was the same kind of Jinn which those people were aware of linguistically i.e. a distinct independent specie they called as Jinn separately from Angels.

I think it all comes down to understanding of Arabi-e-Mualla and applied principles in understanding it.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor November 20, 2020 at 2:25 pm

If you don’t mind could you give the time stamp for the video?

• Umer

Moderator November 20, 2020 at 2:41 pm

Give me some time for the time-stamp.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor November 20, 2020 at 2:41 pm

Sure

• Umer

Moderator November 20, 2020 at 3:57 pm

Please see this as well:

Discussion 35995 • Reply 36104

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register