Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Question On Ethyl Alcohol In Foods

• Question On Ethyl Alcohol In Foods

Haseeb Faisal updated 3 years, 3 months ago 2 Members · 12 Replies
  • Umer

Moderator December 2, 2020 at 3:35 pm

For comments of Ghamidi Sahab, please refer to the video below from 1:16:28 to 1:18:38

https://www.youtube.com/live/raf8eKjlC2s?feature=share&t=4588

• Umer

Moderator December 2, 2020 at 3:36 pm

This might also be helpful in understanding of the principle:

Discussion 65978

• Haseeb Faisal

Member December 2, 2020 at 3:58 pm

Asalamoalaikum Mr. Umer Qureshi,

I really appreciate your help! It seems that Mr. Ghamidi answered my question in the video. However, there were some Urdu words in the video that I did not understand, so can you confirm for me that I have the right interpretation? I believe someone asked if cooking oil – which contains alcohol – is permissible to use, knowing that even large quantities will not result in intoxication. To that, Mr. Ghamidi responded that there is no problem. I believe the point was that this is the case regardless of whether the composition of alcohol has changed or not? The only discomfort I feel is that if we are not allowed to consume alcohol by itself, even if we limit ourselves to a non-intoxicating quantity, then why is this exception allowed?

JazakAllah,

Haseeb

• Umer

Moderator December 2, 2020 at 4:31 pm

Alcohol is prohibited as an absolute directive, whether it be a small non-intoxicating quantity or large quantity.

Now if something prohibited like alcohol is known with certainty to lose its chemical form in the xyz process, then there is no issue of prohibition in this regard.

The question arises about grey areas just like mentioned in the question, like in cooking the meals, the alcohol is neither used as a primary consumable item (e.g. for cooking purposes only) and is ought to lose some of its chemical form for sure, but it cannot be said with certainty as to how much; at the same time the quantity is also very negligible so as to cause any intoxication. All these multiple factors when seen in tandem, make it a grey area to which Ghamidi Sahab has responded that it is suggested to refrain from these grey areas as a gesture of Taqwa/piety, however, if someone decides otherwise, then it would also be acceptable as the matter has not remained so obvious so as to say anything with certainty and is bound to have two opinions.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member December 2, 2020 at 4:53 pm

That makes a lot of sense! But, how am I – or even store employees – to know whether the chemical composition changes? Wouldn’t scholars and scientists, like chemists, be in the best position to answer that? Wouldn’t it be practically impossible for me to confirm whether this is the case for every food item?

• Umer

Moderator December 2, 2020 at 5:10 pm

That is why it is called a grey area because cooking often involves breaking of chemical bonds and formation of new ones but at the same time, a human being cannot in every instance go to an expert to know with certainty. Since humans are not imposed with religious directives over and beyond their capacity as per Quran, therefore it belongs to mushtabihaat (grey area) category and a human being has to decide for themselves considering their inclination.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member December 2, 2020 at 5:30 pm

That’s very clear. JazakAllah for your help! You articulated your points very well and I believe I understand the ruling a lot better now.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member December 5, 2020 at 2:51 pm

I did a little bit of research and was hoping that I could ask a follow-up question. Both cookies and ice cream contain vanilla extract, which uses alcohol as a carrier/solvent. While cookies are baked (and therefore heated), ice cream is not. Therefore, provided that both products contain vanilla extract, would it be fair to say that it is permissible to consume the cookies, but not the vanilla? Thank you.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member December 5, 2020 at 4:51 pm

I mean to ask: Therefore, provided that both products contain vanilla extract, would it be fair to say that it is permissible to consume the cookies, but not the ice cream?

• Umer

Moderator December 5, 2020 at 5:55 pm

This again can have two different opinions.

1) First one is as you rightly pointed out …”Both cookies and ice cream contain vanilla extract, which uses alcohol as a carrier/solvent. While cookies are baked (and therefore heated), ice cream is not. Therefore, provided that both products contain vanilla extract, would it be fair to say that it is permissible to consume the cookies, but not the vanilla?”

2) Secondly, it can be argued that since Alcohol is only used as a solvent and the one who consumes it does not become intoxicated and no effect of alcohol is seen when eating it (no matter how much of quantity is being eaten). Rather, whatever alcohol that may become attached to the vanilla seeds during preparation disappears and leaves no trace in the seed. Something that is like this is not haraam to consume. This seems somewhat similar to Homeopathic medicine where alcohol is used as a preservative.

Please also refer to the videos in the following thread:

Discussion 65978

• Haseeb Faisal

Member December 7, 2020 at 12:44 pm

JazakAllah Mr. Umer Qureshi, I really appreciate your help.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member February 10, 2021 at 11:26 pm

@Umer Qureshi I know this thread has gone on for quite a bit, but seeing the above video of Javed Ghamidi voicing that medicines containing alcohol are permissible for consumption, is it not fair to assume that drinks, donuts, etc. which use alcohol as a solvent (for preservation purposes) are permissible for consumption as well? JazakAllah.

The discussion "Question On Ethyl Alcohol In Foods" is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now