A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Epistemology and Philosophy Non-Dualism

Tagged: 

• Non-Dualism

Umer updated 3 years, 3 months ago 4 Members · 22 Replies
  • Faisal Haroon

Moderator December 31, 2020 at 4:50 pm

Non-dualism is a philosophical concept without any basis, and stands in stark contrast to the religion of God. Please see:

Discussion 35913

and

Discussion 4851

• Sheraz Ahmed

Member January 1, 2021 at 12:35 am

what i understand from your reply that non-dualism is tassawuf are same concepts.

or the term tassawuf is derived from non-dualism ?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator January 1, 2021 at 12:44 am

Tassawuf and all other mystic belief systems (e.g. Hinduism, Buddhism, Taoism, Christian Mysticism) borrow the philosophical ideas of non-dualism to varying degrees.

• Sheraz Ahmed

Member January 1, 2021 at 1:13 am

you mean that Islam does not have any traces of non-dualism in its teachings at all ? and islam discards any of such philosophy ?

i am asking this specifically because islam is the very last religion on the list of religions so are there not possibilities that islam also had adopted some of the concepts from the already spread religions ?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator January 1, 2021 at 1:32 am

I’m not sure what you’re trying to ask because from what I gather, I have already responded to those questions.

• Sheraz Ahmed

Member January 1, 2021 at 1:43 am

ok.

can you please refer me ghamidi sir’s any video/writing having comments on non-dualism using the specific word ‘non-dualism”, not generally on tassawuf ?

or can my this query be forwarded to him so i get a satisfied answer because what so far you have referred is not helping me to be clear on the subject of non-dualism sir ?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator January 1, 2021 at 2:12 am

I don’t think that you have read the material that I have shared with you above. Unless you ask a more specific question, I can only tell you that non-dualism stands in complete contrast of Quran’s monotheism.

Your next best bet would be to register for Ask Ghamidi Live, and if you get a chance, you can directly ask Ghamidi sahab your question. However, I’m very certain that you will not get any substantial answer from him either, because Quran is very clear on it’s stance.

• Sheraz Ahmed

Member January 2, 2021 at 2:42 am

ok. then what does Non-Dualism mean specifically sir ?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator January 2, 2021 at 8:58 am

Non-dualism is a philosophical idea that denies the ontological gap between the physical and and the metaphysical reality. The concept of wadat-ul-wujood, which is the key idea in tassawuf is a non-dualistic idea. It views the physical reality as just an illusion.

• Sheraz Ahmed

Member January 2, 2021 at 9:23 am

but how you will respond to the fact that physics has yet not found any proof of the stuff called “matter”, on which whole idea of the physical world is based sir ?

Also, please help me to understand that using which medium the infinite divine God can communicate with the finite human beings ?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator January 2, 2021 at 10:04 am

Physics has not found proof of matter is news to me. Do you have any references to share?

The three ways that God communicates with humans are stated in Quran 42:51-53.

• Sheraz Ahmed

Member January 2, 2021 at 10:27 am

Thank you very much for your time sir. God bless you

• Sheraz Ahmed

Member January 3, 2021 at 3:25 am

please help me understand that, why God has sent us in this world, without our consent (at least i don’t remember when i was asked) to go and spend my life in a world where there are countless chances that i will be caught up by sins, and sent to hell ultimately ?

I may had chosen not to come here if i was shown/informed/explained, all the possible hardships here ?

• Haris Virk

Moderator January 3, 2021 at 3:41 am

We did consent to it according to the Quran, and the event has been removed from our memory since this is a trial. Ghamidi sahab writes in Meezan, “The Qur’an informs us that an acknowledgement of the providence of the Almighty is found innately in man’s nature. It says that this matter manifested itself in the form of a pledge. The Qur’an refers to this event as a real-life incident and not something metaphorical. Since man has been sent here for trial, the whole incident has been erased from his memory; however, its essence is etched on his heart and ingrained in his soul and nothing can obliterate it.”

Quran: “And remember when your Lord brought forth from the loins of the progeny of Adam their children and made them testify against themselves. He said: “Am I not your Lord?” They replied: “We bear witness that You are.” (7:172)

I recommend watching the Meezan Al-Hikmah Lecture Series. It answers each and every question regarding faith, God, and the trial in detail.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvDnnnkYLWQdvp6fCWJy-jzWgAAX_HKW6

• Haris Virk

Moderator January 3, 2021 at 3:56 am

Please see this as well:

Discussion 22229 • Reply 22235

• Umer

Moderator January 3, 2021 at 5:26 am

Shehraz Sahab (@Sheraz ) this question is not directly related to your primary question. Please post it as a separate topic so that we can stay organized and well-sorted on AG w.r.t topics and forums. Thank you!

• Sheraz Ahmed

Member January 3, 2021 at 4:21 am

it is obvious that you have presented me a summarized answer from “”Meezan Al-Hikmah Lecture Series”.

But, how fair it seems to remove ones memory before putting him into the examination room ? and then making such a ridiculous compulsion of either passing or failing ultimately sir ?

Who would like to go into such examination room sir ? will you Haris Ali Virk sir ?

• Haris Virk

Moderator January 3, 2021 at 4:36 am

Would have been better had you first listened to the lectures instead of asking this question since Ghamidi sahab conclusively talks about this very point. Let me summarize that for you again: So, even though the incident itself has been removed from our memory, its essence remains within us.

Besides this innate guidance, man has also been equipped with the ability of deriving conclusions from what he hears, sees and feels – conclusions which are actually beyond these faculties.

When a person makes use of this ability of his and studies the universe which stretches around him, then this study of his also vouches for this very reality found in his inner-self. Thus he sees that everything of this world is a miraculous manifestation of creativity; everything has deep meaningfulness; it has been created with great diligence and thoroughness; there exists amazing wisdom, planning, usefulness and order; there are found superb mathematical and geometrical realities whose only justification is the fact that they have a Creator and this Creator is not an uncontrolled and unrestrained being. On the contrary, He has an unfathomable mind. This is because if power does not emanate from a wise and all-knowing being, then it should be mere tyranny; the truth of the matter is that this is not so: this expression of power and strength has aptness about it; it is also very harmonious and is very advantageous and produces great marvels which cannot be produced by an uncontrolled and unrestrained force.

Although these testimonies were sufficient, however in order to leave people with no excuse in rejecting them the Almighty took a step further: He initiated mankind by a human being who directly heard from God, saw his angels and in this manner bore direct witness to the truth. The Almighty took this step so that after the death of Adam, the first human being, this information could be transmitted to the descendants of Adam generation after generation and so that the concept of God and the Hereafter should not become alien in any period of time, in any place on the earth and in any generation of mankind.

• Haris Virk

Moderator January 3, 2021 at 4:41 am

Then, prophets were sent to every community. God had promised Adam (sws) that He would guide his progeny through guidance revealed by Him. This guidance was given to mankind through these very prophets. After receiving revelations from God, they tell what is the truth to people, give glad tidings to those who believe in Him and warn those who do not believe in Him of a dreadful fate.

• Haris Virk

Moderator January 3, 2021 at 4:43 am

Conclusion: God is not just fair, He is far too kind for having arranged all these sources of guidance in this test.

• Sheraz Ahmed

Member January 3, 2021 at 5:03 am

which part of the above text has any hint of answer to my very-ordinary-human-level-question sir ?

do you really qualify to answer on this important forum sir ? on which basis you have been approved as a moderator ?

• Haris Virk

Moderator January 3, 2021 at 5:15 am

I am neither a moderator nor anything else but a student of Islam, just like you. This is why I had recommended listening to the lectures by Ghamidi sahab, who explains your question far better than I ever can. I summarized his point on your insistence as simply as I could. I might have failed. I am sorry for that. Good luck!

The discussion "Non-Dualism" is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now