Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums World Religions Were The Sufi Saints And Scholars Lying?

Tagged: 

• Were The Sufi Saints And Scholars Lying?

Posted by Haris Virk on January 18, 2021 at 11:25 am

It makes complete sense that all sources of divine revelation have been closed after the Holy Prophet Muhammad SAW (except mubashirat i.e., good dreams, as per hadith). But what really intrigues me is that all these people who associated themselves with the sufi interpretation of religion, that is, Imam Al Ghazali, Ibnul Arabi, Shah Waliullah Dehalwi, and others, were scholars of Quran, and, more or less, the entire content of Islam, then, why would such learned and intellectually brilliant people construct such a big lie. Yes, I know, that human beings seek attention and power, which is why many falsely claimed prophethood. Yes, human beings can err as well. But two things are very unique in this matter: a) these people actually were great scholars of Islam. b) the claim that they were making is not something about which one can err (not an issue of law, or sanad of a hadith). I mean people of their stature are claiming that they can LITERALLY see angels, communicate with them, or receive divine revelation.

I don’t know. Maybe something was amiss. Maybe it was magic (sifli uloom) and they did not fully comprehend its source, that is, maybe it was evil Djinns playing with them, fooling them even. I don’t know.

But, is it possible that people of their stature were outrightly lying? They knew Quran. They knew it well. Could they still dare to fabricate such lies?

(I know that we won’t get anywhere by figuring out this mystery, and perhaps there isn’t even any point to do so, but still it kind of perturbs me. I am deeply sorry for this long rant.)

$ohail T@hir replied 3 years, 3 months ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Were The Sufi Saints And Scholars Lying?

$ohail T@hir updated 3 years, 3 months ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • Ahsan

Moderator January 18, 2021 at 11:28 am

As you may know Ghamidi Sb has explained sufism in detail many times. He never claimed that they fabricated lies. Instead he argue they had wrong understanding of sources of Islam

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator January 18, 2021 at 12:26 pm

The sufi scholars you named above were not lying. Ghamidi sahab never claimed that they were lying either. Such experiences are indeed possible, however, they have nothing to do with the religion of God. Once someone approaches any knowledge through wrong doors, they can build a perception which then leads to wrong conclusions.

Very concisely, scholars of tassawuf had accepted the idealistic philosophical ideas and they approached the Quran with such preconceived notions. In the following old and rare video Ghamidi sahab explains how this behavior causes one to err.

• $ohail T@hir

Moderator January 18, 2021 at 1:45 pm

Sufi experiences are real! But these experiences have no connection with Islam! Hindu Yogi or a Christian/Jewish Saint has similar “experiences”.

The best way to describe these experiences is “attained illusion”.

• $ohail T@hir

Moderator January 18, 2021 at 1:48 pm

See this thread: Discussion 4851 • Reply 4851

and google Samadhi

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register