Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums World Religions To What Extent Can One Follow Sufism?

Tagged: , ,

• To What Extent Can One Follow Sufism?

Posted by Mujahed Khan on January 24, 2021 at 7:16 pm

After following the deen and within the limits of sharia to what extent one can follow sufism. Especially when one finds his nature more close to zikrs, love and remembrance of Allah by sufi practises. If someone wants to find the rules of nafs, experience dreams and explore various benefits or develop some unique metaphysical characteristics.

Faisal Haroon replied 2 years, 12 months ago 3 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • To What Extent Can One Follow Sufism?

Faisal Haroon updated 2 years, 12 months ago 3 Members · 11 Replies
  • Faisal Haroon

Moderator January 24, 2021 at 11:19 pm

Tassawuf presents an alternate viewpoint in contrast to the religion presented by the Quran and the sunnah. For a conscious Muslim I think it should be enough to understand this very point and back out, regardless of how they find their nature.

For a detailed comparison between Islam and Tassawuf, please refer to:

Discussion 4851

• Mujahed Khan

Member January 25, 2021 at 12:58 am

This does not answer my question. I have seen all the videos of Ghamidi Sahab till date on sufism. In last video he said, it is just a different path not a different religion. And a person can be a Sufi and a Muslim.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator January 25, 2021 at 2:32 am

Can you please share that video with with time references so that I can understand the context of what he was saying?

• Atteeq Shahzad

Member January 25, 2021 at 5:52 am

I think mujahid Bhai is right. Nafsi uloom can be learnt and it has nothing to do with religion. Any non Muslim can master dem as well. Tasawuf also involve exercises to develop nafsani powers but sometime they present these method as Deen which is contradicted by Ghamdi Sahb. I think there is nothing wrong with Zikr and meditation as long as one doesn’t involve in shirk and immoral activities

• Mujahed Khan

Member January 30, 2021 at 5:33 pm

Faisal Haroon: can you please put this question to Ghamidi Sahab, in question answer session. JAZAK ALLAH

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator January 30, 2021 at 7:06 pm

Ghamidi sahab is very clear on his stance about tassawuf. His viewpoint is explained in the post I shared with you above. Short of any further explanation from you regarding your confusion, I really don’t find anything objective to ask him. If you like, please feel free to register for the next Ask Ghamidi Live web conference where you may have a chance to ask him your question directly.

• Mujahed Khan

Member January 31, 2021 at 1:47 am
  • Faisal Haroon

Moderator January 31, 2021 at 10:01 am

Mujahed sahab I think that you’re confusing two things here. Ghamidi sahab unequivocally stated in the video you shared that the study of inner self is a secular field of knowledge and that anyone who presents it as religion will be criticized. By secular he means scientific studies of mind and consciousness. Tassawuf on the other hand presents a religious ideology that is in contrast with Islam (the Quran and the sunnah) in it’s very foundation.

• Mujahed Khan

Member January 31, 2021 at 2:22 pm

Brother, I understand your viewpoint but my question is….

Can we follow tasawwuf as a secular science not as religion and derive benefits from it. Like we study science and economics, etc.

Especially when one is naturally inclined towards it and finds this will benefit him towards steadfastness on Islam.

If you find this as a question worth asking could you please forward it. I don’t want to have a debate or discussion with you. We can have a difference of opinion.

Ihope you have seen this video

https://youtu.be/s9Z-T9ZHfos

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator January 31, 2021 at 3:07 pm

You cannot practice a religion as a secular science. Tassawuf is a religious interpretation. It doesn’t exist in thin air – they present a concept of God and this universe, and build upon those concepts.

I urge you to read the discussion I shared in my first response comparing tassawuf and Islam – it’s an English translation of Ghamidi sahab’s own essay. That discussion also has various videos of Ghamidi sahab that dig into details of tassawuf which you might find worth watching. Islam and tassawuf are two roads that are going in different directions. The answer to your question whether you can travel on one road while still driving on the other doesn’t make sense. Natural inclination towards something has no meaning in religion – for religion is understanding and practicing the message of God, not our own desires (Quran verse 28:50).

Lastly, if you like, please feel free to register for the next Ask Ghamidi Live web conference where you may have a chance to ask Ghamidi sahab your question directly.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator March 31, 2021 at 9:55 am

Please watch the following from 44:25 to 48:03:

https://youtu.be/RKCOvg5F_Z4?start=44m25s

The discussion "To What Extent Can One Follow Sufism?" is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now