Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islam and Science Evolution In The Light Of The Quran

Tagged: 

• Evolution In The Light Of The Quran

Posted by Ahmad Shoaib on February 2, 2021 at 7:23 pm

Sahih International: O mankind, fear your Lord, who created you from one soul and created from it its mate and dispersed from both of them many men and women. And fear Allah , through whom you ask one another, and the wombs. Indeed Allah is ever, over you, an Observer.
    4:1
    Sahih International: From the earth We created you, and into it We will return you, and from it We will extract you another time.
    20:55
    Sahih International: Who perfected everything which He created and began the creation of man from clay. Then He made his posterity out of the extract of a liquid disdained. Then He proportioned him and breathed into him from His [created] soul and made for you hearing and vision and hearts; little are you grateful.
    32:7-9

When it comes to saying that the start of the creation of humans was from dirt- even in surah taha ayah 55, god says to pharaoh that he was created from the Earth. I personally see no issue in saying that Adam AS was created from dirt and had parents and that the original creation of dirt was that of LUCA then to apes etc etc. When God says he ‘began’ the creation of man, I don’t see why this creation process could not include a stage of being apes. Just as now, man is not man when he is in the womb, he is nutfah then alaq. In the same way, he would’ve been a germ then an ape then, from divine intervention, got the consciousness we see today.

I saw only one flaw in this theory that I think is now solved- that creating the spouse from this one soul wouldn’t make sense. But to be honest it doesn’t really matter, because the cells that split into eventually beocming human would include both Adam and Eve

Sahih International: Indeed, the example of Jesus to Allah is like that of Adam. He created Him from dust; then He said to him, “Be,” and he was.
    3:59

So if God says a similar thing to pharaoh, though he had a mother, the same can be said for Adam AS who would’ve come from dirt in his primal origins, as did I (so it would be justified to say ‘Ahmad- you were created from dust’).

The question would be- does this interpretation hold up to Quranic interpretation principles? Have I made an error in interpreting or explaining any of the verses?

Faisal Haroon replied 3 years, 2 months ago 4 Members · 24 Replies
  • 24 Replies
  • Evolution In The Light Of The Quran

Faisal Haroon updated 3 years, 2 months ago 4 Members · 24 Replies
  • Nadeem Minhas

Member February 2, 2021 at 8:17 pm

Could it be the “soul” means soul not human body. So if Allah created humans from a single soul, it makes sense.

Reference to Quantum physics, a particle can be at two places at the same time…something like this.

• ودود

Member February 8, 2021 at 5:17 pm

Good point, single soul or “nafs” might refer to single soul. It can also be LUCA tho.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor February 8, 2021 at 4:28 pm

Also when Allah says Adam AS was made a successor on the Earth (calipha)- who was this succession done to? It seems it could’ve been other humans. Does Ghamidi sahab say this simply means he had the ability of free will?

• ودود

Member February 8, 2021 at 5:29 pm

Calipha mean ruler or master (of the resources of the Earth) and not “ a successor” as commonly believed.

Without free will, one can’t become the ruler or master so that is an essential part of becoming a caliph.

The reason for making man a caliph on Earth is see if he can discharge his responsibilities under the “covenant of Amana” he signed with Allah before coming to this world.

• ودود

Member February 8, 2021 at 5:31 pm

I agree with you that there is nothing in Quran that conflicts with the theory that man has evolved thru stages thru different species including apes.

• Nadeem Minhas

Member February 8, 2021 at 5:38 pm

I find Quran supporting evolution. Every living thing is created from water, some with 2 legs, 4 legs and some crawl… etc. Humans are created from water and aged mud and thereafter human to human reproduction started…

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor February 10, 2021 at 10:16 am

This ayah is the issue:

Sahih International: Indeed, the example of Jesus to Allah is like that of Adam. He created Him from dust; then He said to him, “Be,” and he was.

3:59

The wording used here is khalaqahu min turaab thuma qaala lahu kun fayakuun. This means rather, he planned him dust, then said to him be and he was. This specific wording makes it seem that he was created directly from dirt

• ودود

Member February 10, 2021 at 5:12 pm

The “dust” in 3:59 could mean the birth process in the womb — as food mother eats come from the dust. If that is correct it does not conflict the evolution theory.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor February 10, 2021 at 5:18 pm

The point is the kalimah kun here is direct. That’s why there is tamtheel with isa عليه السلام

• Nadeem Minhas

Member February 10, 2021 at 5:18 pm

I agree with your asessment Wadood, that we are all made of dust. Perhaps for Jesus Allah specifically used the Word “dust”, beacuse he was born without father and not through normal birth process. So using the word dust or miracle was more appropriate.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor February 10, 2021 at 5:19 pm

The word khalaqa is for planning. And then a direct kalimah kun. This suggests he was created directly from the dirt with the command from God

• Nadeem Minhas

Member February 10, 2021 at 5:25 pm

I do not think so. Does that means Allah made Adam with actual mud and suddenly turned him to flesh and Allah is trying to say that he did the same with Jesus?

I think both are directly created from dirt. The question is how much processing of dirt was involved. Adam was created with least processed dirt, then Jesus and then all of us.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator February 10, 2021 at 5:31 pm

As per Ghamidi sahab’s understanding, which I seem to agree with, Adam AS was not directly created from dirt. The beginning of the creation of animal was from within the womb of the earth. The process of evolution continued on for a long period and then Adam AS was selected from the humanoid and granted human consciousness through the process of nafkh-e-ruh.

• ودود

Member February 10, 2021 at 5:42 pm

Does it mean adam was the first and only animal of humanoid specie and did not have parents?

Is it also possible that there were many humanoid species reproducing for many generations while God was perfecting them and finally chose one of them to get self awareness, cognitive ability and free will to become a human?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator February 10, 2021 at 5:47 pm

According to this view, Adam AS was selected, so while he did have humanoid parents, he was the first human because he was granted consciousness. That’s why the story of human creation starts from him.

Sure there could be many humanoid species before Adam AS.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor February 10, 2021 at 7:51 pm

I talked with Sajid Hameed sahab and I’m sure you know he disagrees. It’s this ayah of aal e Imran that makes me think he’s correct. I have the reasoning below. If Allah created Adam عليه السلام with his own hands it implies love and care and also a direct intervention. And if Adam عليه السلام is being specifically mentioned it doesn’t seem right that there’s any evolution going on here

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator February 10, 2021 at 10:22 pm

Yes I know the difference, and they both have their weight. Personally, I think that without more evidence from science one way or the other it’s too early to tell.

• ودود

Member February 10, 2021 at 5:27 pm

I think “kun” is for adding the soul to the biological body that make us “human”.

The birth process of adam and Jesus has a deviation from the regular birth process and that’s what makes both the births similar. Adam might have parents but he got the human soul later and Jesus got the soul in the womb but he had no father. Both births are different from the way a baby to a human couple is born.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor February 10, 2021 at 7:49 pm

The word khalaqa meaning planning means the kun cannot be just adding the soul. I would think the tamtheel is from the aspect of both came from the direct ‘kun’ of God.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator February 10, 2021 at 11:29 am
    • ودود

Member February 10, 2021 at 5:07 pm

Which part of the video is relevant to the topic. Please share the relevant timeline slot.

I have went thru different segments of the video but couldn’t find anything relevant.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator February 10, 2021 at 5:21 pm

I was trying to have you earn more sawab by watching the entire video! 😁😁

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator February 10, 2021 at 5:24 pm

1:06:19 sheds some light about the discussion regarding similarity between Adam AS and Jesus AS.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator February 10, 2021 at 5:38 pm

Please also refer to:

Discussion 30012 • Reply 31280

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register