Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Quran 1:5 – Seeking Only Allah's Help

Tagged: , ,

• Quran 1:5 – Seeking Only Allah's Help

Posted by haris mujtaba on February 6, 2021 at 12:31 am

Dear Ghamdi Sahab

You and most of the scholars translate one of the ayat of Surah e Fatiha as “hum Teri he ibadat kertey hain aur Tujh he se madad mangtey hain” and with this translation there is a point of view that “Madad sirf Allah Himself se” come.

I want your opinion on this translation of same ayat which is “hum Teri he ibadat kertey hain aur Teri he madad chahtey hain”, kindly first tell me whether its a valid translation or not.

secondly if we use this translation then it authenticate the other point of view that we can ask madad from any body by keeping in mind that it is through Allah

Also give the better understanding of Ayat, mafhoom “Namaz aur sabar se madad haasil karo” so we are taking help through namaz and sabar which comes from Allah

This translation also applies in our daily life that wo go to friends, people, doctors, teachers etc for help by keeping in mind that on behalf of them Allah is helping(because we dont go to Allah for medicines).

waiting for your kind reply.

Thanks.

Faisal Haroon replied 3 years, 2 months ago 5 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • Quran 1:5 – Seeking Only Allah's Help

Faisal Haroon updated 3 years, 2 months ago 5 Members · 14 Replies
  • Ahsan

Moderator February 6, 2021 at 1:59 am

Kindly ask one question per thread.

Both meanings are valid.

These ayah do not talk about physical realm. You can seek help in matters which others have knowledge or capability.
    For more understanding, kindly refer to following video from 00:25:00 to 00:28:00
    https://youtu.be/15w6lAdwpTc?t=1501

• haris mujtaba

Member February 9, 2021 at 11:45 pm

Thanks for the videos but i asked the above question after watching the above video. My question is what is the justification that we are saying “These ayah do not talk about physical realm”, because the other translation fits for both the realms.

• Ahsan

Moderator February 6, 2021 at 2:00 am

For understanding of Quranic verse surah 2:153 (Prayer patience verse) refer to following video
    https://youtu.be/fp1BncJhnQ8?t=15

• haris mujtaba

Member February 16, 2021 at 10:34 pm

Thanks for the videos but i asked the above question after watching the above video. My question is what is the justification that we are saying “These ayah do not talk about physical realm”, because the other translation fits for both the realms.

I was waiting for the reply.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator February 17, 2021 at 2:41 pm

Verses of the Quran should not be understood in isolation. Several translators have translated Quran word by word and left the task of gathering the meaning to the reader. Ghamidi sahab’s translation opens up the meaning in several places, relating God’s intent in theses verses. This sometimes comes from the context of the word, other times the sentence structure, and yet other times keeping the message of the Quran at large in mind. There are several verses in the Quran that tell us that God is the only being that we should ask help from. For example, please consider Quran verses 10:106-107, 29:17, and 27:62.

If you would like more details about the principles of understanding the Quran, please refer to:

Discussion 2903

• haris mujtaba

Member February 20, 2021 at 2:23 am

Yes there are several verses that tell us that God is only being that we should ask help from and if you are eliminating physical realm on the basis of those verses then what about the verse which says get help from other than Allah., please consider Quran verse 2:153.

So definitely its not the message of Quran ” God is the only being that we should ask help from” otherwise it will contradict to above verse of Quran.

The question i asked was that, what is God’s intent, context of the word or sentence of structure by applying which Ghamdi sahab translated that verse.

Thanks

• Nadeem Minhas

Member February 20, 2021 at 8:27 am

Brother Haris:

What do you means 2:153 says get help from other than Allah. It doesn’t seem to say anything like this.

اے لوگو جو ایمان لائے ہو، صبر اور نماز سے مدد لو اللہ صبر کرنے والوں کے ساتھ ہے [2:153] O you who believe, seek help through steadfastness and the Contact Prayers (Salat). GOD is with those who steadfastly persevere.

• haris mujtaba

Member March 2, 2021 at 1:13 am

Yes Brother, i definitely mean this because we don’t consider “sabr” and Namaz” as Allah and if Allah wants us to ask help from him directly then instead of Namaz and Sabr there should be Allah directly.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator February 20, 2021 at 9:18 am

Haris sahab Quran verse 2:153 is asking to seek help from salat and steadfastness (sabr) when the opposition creates hurdles in your way. It has nothing to do with “others”.

• haris mujtaba

Member March 2, 2021 at 1:17 am

Faisal Sahab

kindly explain opposition as we always have hurdles in our life, kindly also guide what is the reference from Quran which specifies this verse for some opposition and not in general sense.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator March 2, 2021 at 9:57 am

Please see explanation of verse 2:153 in Al-Bayan.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor March 2, 2021 at 9:19 am

In اياك نستعين there is a مفعول به مقدم. This means that it should be translated with تخصيص which is what most translators have done.

Seeking help through salah is in fact seeking help from God. And seeking help from sabr is the same since it is a God ordained action- so we asked God how to get help and he told us this way.

The question remains though, the ayah in fatiha seems to indicate that we shouldn’t ask help from anyone other than God. But if course this would be absurd since the prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم would’ve asked help from sahabah. So what in the wording eliminates the physical realm?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator March 2, 2021 at 9:58 am

This is common sense.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor March 2, 2021 at 9:23 am

I guess it is nuanced. Of course we only ask Allah for help. Without his help no human could ever assist us. So even if it is not proclaimed out loud, our life is lived under the banner of only asking God and as an affirmation of that fact in the back of our minds

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register