Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islam and Science Eliminative Materialism

Tagged: 

• Eliminative Materialism

Posted by umer Khan on February 21, 2021 at 6:54 am

Recently I have studied the philosophy of materialism . One of these materialists called eliminative materialists who are in minority thinks that conciousnessis all an illusion . The evidence they give is that when anything thing happens like after storytelling there is a release of oxytocin and we think that it is something amazing but there is no such thing . When we do anything it s just neuron firings in brain which we think as a conciousness . Its quite confusing because if that is illusion then everything experience by us is illusion. How I can understand it?

Faisal Haroon replied 3 years, 1 month ago 4 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • Eliminative Materialism

Faisal Haroon updated 3 years, 1 month ago 4 Members · 11 Replies
  • Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar February 21, 2021 at 8:07 am

it is just an idea, a baseless rather absurd. The actual world is a reality. we experience it all the time. When one throws a ball in the air and the other catch it. it is a common experience of reality.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator February 21, 2021 at 9:33 am

Please also refer to:

Discussion 39268

and

Discussion 42727

• umer Khan

Member February 21, 2021 at 9:45 am

Faisal bhai I have already read it and listen to the whole series of zavia ghamidi . Yeah we feel that these are our inner subjective state but science tell us the process behind that which is only hormonal release or neuron firings

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator February 21, 2021 at 10:13 am

It’s a misconception that science has proven anything in this regard. Eliminative materialism is just one of the many hypothetical claims. Some of these ideas in the field of philosophy of mind are packaged as science and cause confusion for the common people who do not understand the academic debate at a deeper level.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator February 21, 2021 at 10:22 am
  • Nadeem Minhas

Member February 21, 2021 at 10:24 am

Still, the idea needs to be considered. There is scientific evidence behind it. Please looks at Quantum Particle physics; especially Double Slit Experiment.

If I am not mistaken, it proves that the physical world does not exist, but when a conscious being observes, it materializes. Basically partials behave like waves, but as soon as someone observes them, they act like particles (Even going back in time and changing results. The results only change when someone observes it).

Quran also states that this life is not real. It can be interpreted both ways and one way is that is not physically real.

There is not way to conclusively reject either.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator February 21, 2021 at 10:27 am

In the academia currently quantum physics is completely disregarded in the context of this debate because science doesn’t yet fully understand quantum physics.

• umer Khan

Member February 21, 2021 at 10:38 am

Jazak Allah hu khair faisal bhai

• Nadeem Minhas

Member February 21, 2021 at 10:38 am

We’ll never get the full grasp in science or full knowledge in any field of study. Knowledge is unlimited and we know less than atom’s weight of knowledge. Currently we have relatively better grasp of Quantum physics and the science of sub-particles. These are no longer theories. So far we have made Quantum computers, Quantum cryptography, etc.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator February 21, 2021 at 1:09 pm

As you pointed out, science is already using QM in different areas. It is because it has great predictive power in it’s applications. However, science is yet to understand the fundamentals of QM, so they disregard it in the context of physicalism and consciousness debates. There’s no sense in trying to understand one unknown with the help of another.

Currently there are multiple explanations for QM, but none of them are very plausible. At this time the scientific community has adopted the mantra of “shut up and calculate” in reference to QM where they want to use it’s power without worrying about understanding it.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator March 2, 2021 at 11:16 am

This is a great article on current varying interpretations of Quantum Mechanics that I thought I should share:

Interpretations of Quantum Mechanics | IEP

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register