A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Gel In Hair And Wudu

Tagged: 

• Gel In Hair And Wudu

Umer updated 2 years, 1 month ago 4 Members · 10 Replies
  • Haris Virk

Moderator March 10, 2021 at 1:46 pm

I don’t really think there should be any problem. People put oil in their hair all the time and continue to perform masah regardless. It’s about cleanliness and a symbolic expression of spiritual purity.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor March 10, 2021 at 1:51 pm

Yes but it could be seen as similar to nail polish as it covers the hair sometimes. Maybe @Irfan76 could give a fiqhi idea

• Haseeb Faisal

Member March 27, 2022 at 3:32 pm

Asalamualaikum,

I’m just confused a bit on this point. Does gel prevent the head from being wiped completely, as Mr. Umer Qureshi mentioned in this thread: Discussion 29766

In this thread: The head “should be wiped completely because the use of ’ ب‘ in ’وَامْسَحُوْا بِرُءُ وْسِکُمْ (Quran 5:6) signifies completeness.”

Personally, I don’t feel like gel should be able to prevent the head from being wet, but I do remember some scholar saying that it forms a layer over the head and so should be removed prior to wudu.

JazakAllah

• Umer

Moderator March 27, 2022 at 11:37 pm

The head “should be wiped completely because the use of ’ ب‘ in ’وَامْسَحُوْا بِرُءُ وْسِکُمْ (Quran 5:6) signifies completeness”.

This refers to the method of how Masah should be performed, not how much water should reach one’s head. It is already Masah to begin with, therefore application of won’t create any issue.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member March 27, 2022 at 11:48 pm

JazakAllah Mr. Umer Qureshi,

But, for example, if I am following Ghamidi Sahab and Dr. Shehzad Saleem’s opinion on nail polish, which I believe indicates that an individual should first perform wudu and then apply a significant barrier of water, would I be contradicting this principle by applying gel on my head?

• Umer

Moderator March 27, 2022 at 11:59 pm

No, because it is already masah. You don’t need masah first to do another masah over gel.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member March 28, 2022 at 12:02 am

I’m just getting a little bit confused. Do you mind elaborating a little what you mean by it already being masah? Sorry for the confusion.

• Umer

Moderator March 29, 2022 at 12:02 am

Originally we are required to wash our hands, but when we apply nail polish, we use ‘masah ijtihad‘ over a part that was required to be washed initially. Head however is not required to be washed originally, instead the original requirement is masah itself, therefore applying gel on the head and peforming masah over it will still meet the original masah requirement. Therefore, nothing additional is required in this regard.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member March 29, 2022 at 12:45 am

That makes sense! And what does the term ‘masah’ mean exactly – as in, how it differ from ‘wash’?

• Umer

Moderator March 29, 2022 at 12:55 am

Masah‘ refers to wiping hands over something.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register